Firmware Engineer III
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/11/2016
END DATE 11/30/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONLaird is a global team of more than 9,000 talented individuals dedicated to helping create a world where smart technology enables virtually everything-transforming our way of life and empowering us to do more than we can imagine.
As a continuously growing company, Laird is always looking for people who can help us live our mission to be a trusted partner delivering technology to the world through innovation, reliable fulfilment and speed.
If you're interested in joining a global technology company leading the way for a wireless world, we want to learn more about you. Explore our current opportunities to see where you can make the biggest difference.
Based in Akron, OH, the Software Engineer III will be responsible for Wi-Fi product firmware. Projects will include design for new product and functionality upgrades, continuous improvement, innovative thinking and customer support.
* Troubleshoot complex problems in Wi-Fi firmware, working alone or in a group to reproduce the issue, determine root cause, implement corrective action and evaluate the fix.
* Write clean, concise code in an extremely memory-constrained environment. Be able to make wise decisions and explain the tradeoffs as to sacrifices or compromises being made in proposed implementations.
* Participate in peer code reviews and give relevant feedback to the developer whether senior or junior in comparable experience. Graciously accept peer feedback from both senior and junior developers.
* Provide guidance to support engineers, sometimes interfacing directly with customers to discuss capabilities or limitations of the device.
* Assist product management with writing specifications and developing roadmaps.
* Participate in structuring test plans for firmware/hardware validation testing.
* Assist the documentation team in the development of release notes and whitepapers.
* Produce design documents from product requirement specifications and effectively communicate those plans to colleagues and managers.
* Prioritize work to ensure smooth release of products into manufacturing while meeting customer requirements and established timelines.
* Be familiar with the IEEE 802.11 standard and amendments such as a/b/g/n/ac/k/r/w
* Author technical papers on significant findings or inventions that can be used as a sales training aid to help promote new products or be published in technical journals.
* Maintain leading-edge technical proficiency and stay abreast of new trends and industry developments in wireless communications and related fields.
* Maintain laboratory notebooks to document the creation and development of new inventions. Prepare invention disclosures, and work with corporate attorneys in researching, writing and filing patent applications. Take any necessary steps to protect intellectual property.
* Deep understanding of Wi-Fi technology and wireless networking infrastructure.
* Demonstrated experience of firmware development in an embedded product. Years of embedded C development is a must.
* Superb troubleshooting skills and a tireless desire to root cause a problem.
* Patience and an abundance of caution in making changes to the firmware. A significant amount of time is spent unit testing changes to confirm the change works as desired with no unintended consequences.
* Be comfortable and have experience with common tools of the trade such as logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers and Wireshark.
* Have an understanding of international regulatory agency requirements/amendments and ensure new firmware does not violate any such guidelines.
* Working knowledge of Linux is a plus. Experience in kernel or driver space is a strong plus.
* Ability for occasional travel to receive relevant training or perform field support.
* Knowledge of CCX is helpful.
* Be able to read schematics and participate in design reviews.
* Familiarity with various hardware interfaces including but not limited to; I2C, SPI, UART, USB, PCIe, JTAG and SDIO.
* Knowledge of Bluetooth communications and wireless coexistence schemes.
* Demonstrate a positive attitude in the midst of daunting technical obstacles.
* Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal.
* Work with management to establish project milestones and execute project plan with little supervision.
* Work well in a Team environment and guides the team as the expert in 802.11 and related technologies.
* Demonstrated experience in participating on multi-disciplinary product development teams.
Education & Experience Requested
* Bachelor's degree in software engineering, electrical engineering, computer science or a closely related field.
* 5+ years of related experience.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, arrest record, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability