GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: .
The Fitness Instructor is the leader in the Fitness Center. The Instructor provides quality customer service, guidance, motivation, and supervision to all members and their guests with their fitness programs. The Fitness Instructor also provides new members with orienting them to the facility by developing an exercise program to fit their needs, and following up with them, and give encouragement when needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Must clock in on time to work scheduled shifts wearing staff uniform.
* Evaluates member medical history questionnaires to determine appropriate individual exercise programs.
* Plans and implements standard and individualized exercise programs.
* Determines format and content of programs based on assessed members abilities and fitness goals.
* Monitors all members and guests usage of cardiovascular and resistance training equipment, (walks the fitness floor frequently during shifts).
* Advise members on exercise and nutrition.
* Enforce club policies and procedures.
* Follow-up and communication with members.
* Tracks members progress and maintains accurate members files.
* Ensures member adherence to safety and injury prevention policies and procedures, prepares incident reports as required.
* Be informed of the latest trends in health, nutrition, fitness, and exercise.
* Performs indoor pool testing and assists in pool and Jacuzzi maintenance, (6am, noon, 5pm, 9:30pm).
* Gives club tours to prospective members and guests.
* Be knowledgeable of membership pricing.
* Promotes personal training, special programs, and group exercise.
* Maintains a clean fitness floor, (picks up cups, towels, magazines, keeps equipment orderly).
* Records, interaction with members, # tours given, member orientations, safety concerns, equipment problems, in the shift log book.
* Responsible for either leading a monthly workshop during a floor shift or maintaining a fitness board
* Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Manager.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Team player.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
* Must be professional and outgoing.
* Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and be able to motivate and work with a diverse group of people.
* Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
* Knowledge of strength and cardiovascular training and provide education method on how to present techniques.
* Knowledge of exercise physiology.
* Skill in developing comprehensive fitness and exercise programs.
* Skill in Fitness Assessments including blood pressure and heart rate.
* Work is performed in a fast paced health club environment.
* The Fitness Instructor is responsible to supervise all the members and their guests in the club while on duty.
* Accredited certification with NASM.
* Must have a minimum of one year experience.
* Must be customer service oriented.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.