Food Safety Quality Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 12/2/2016
West Columbia, SC
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tracking Code
ARYZTA is a global baking company with a Passion for Good Food. We provide our retail and foodservice customers with a portfolio of bakery solutions so they can deliver memorable, delicious food to consumers. With operations in the United States, Canada, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, ARYZTA has become a global leader in the baked goods industry and one of the largest specialty bakery companies in the world. Our leading bakery brands in North America include La Brea Bakery , Otis Spunkmeyer , and Oakrun Farm Bakery . We have 58 state-of-the-art bakeries and kitchens around the globe, with 26 of those in North America, and are committed to driving innovation, predicting upcoming consumer trends and flavors, and exceeding our customers expectations. The Americas team champions the values of Integrity, Ownership, Customer Focus, Creativity and Care to help us deliver on People Safety, Food Safety, Quality and Collaboration.
ARYZTA Americas operates one of the largest specialty bakery businesses servicing all major customers in the retail, foodservice, QSR and convenience store channels.
The Americas Structure includes five operating Business Units: Brazil, Canada, Brand, US Specialty Bakery and US Consumer Foods, which are serviced by five Americas Central Support Functions covering areas such as Food Safety & Quality Assurance, Environmental Health & Safety, Sustainability, HR, Legal, IT, Finance Shared Services, Procurement, Category Management, and Commercialization.
The Quality Assurance Manager has the primary responsibility for protecting the food by establishing and
implementing food safety and quality strategy and meeting all regulatory, customer, and ARYZTA requirements.
The QA Manager is a leader within the bakery responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring food safety
and quality assurance programs and ensuring operations is in compliance with best practices for food safety and
quality. The QA Manager reports directly to the Corporate Food Safety & Quality Assurance Department with
dotted line reporting to the bakery leader to assure effective implementation of food safety and quality programs.
The QA Manager provides leadership directly to their team (exempt and/or non-exempt) and indirectly to other
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This section describes the core responsibilities of this position. Duties may vary dependent on location, department
staffing and seasonal fluctuations.
* Responsible for understanding all applicable food regulations (international, national, state, and local) and
assuring the bakery meets all regulations
* Responsible for understanding and complying with Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards (i.e.
* Responsible for implementation, documentation, control, and maintenance of a detailed Quality
Management System (QMS) including procedures, records, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Hazard
Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), and reassessment
* Works to maintain and improve on the safety, legality and quality of each food and the processes used in
* Responsible for meeting and exceeding customer requirements and effectively communicating with
customers as requested
* Responsible for investigating customer/consumer complaints for foods manufactured on site using root
cause analysis, determining corrective actions and preventive measures, responding to complaints in the
required timeframe, and analyzing complaint trends
* Responsible for the day to day management of the Quality Assurance team including training and
development of QA staff and clear identification of objectives to meet the bakery needs
* Quality Assurance Manager clearly communicates food safety and quality objectives with production,
maintenance, sanitation departments, and external contractors
* Responsible for reporting the food safety and quality issues, corrective actions, and preventive measures to
the plant management team and Corporate Food Safety & Quality Assurance
* Responsible for ensuring training is effective for operations, sanitation, and maintenance staff in basic food
hygiene, GMPs, HACCP, allergen control, and other food safety and quality requirements
* Responsible for monitoring and adherence to Quality Assurance budget
* Measures plant process capabilities, sampling plans, and statistical analysis to assure compliance
* Authorized to hold and release product based on food safety or quality non-conformance
* Ensures a daily food evaluation is conducted to identify possible defects and provide direction for improvement
Ensures physical bakery inspections are conducted on a weekly basis and reports are generated on each area
(pest control, operational methods, maintenance for food safety, sanitation, personnel practices, etc.)
* Contract review, approval, and performance monitoring of external suppliers/services relating to QA
* Technical representative for ARYZTA at customer and third-party bakery audits
* Responsible for assuring materials are received from ARYZTA approved suppliers and conducts raw
material supplier performance monitoring
* Responsible for the effective implementation of ARYZTA Recall and Traceability Program including
accurate, timely mock traceability exercises
* Responsible for providing technical advice and direction with respect to ARYZTA food safety and quality
policies and keeping bakery team informed of applicable scientific, industry, and regulatory changes.
* Other duties may be assigned and QA Manager is expected to effectively manage and execute changes
This job description should not be viewed as an all-inclusive list of the responsibilities related to your position.
Your position will necessitate performing duties and tasks that are not outlined herein. There are no guarantees as
to the nature and scope of the work performed by this position. The company retains the right to change an
employee s position or job description at any time.
Education, Technical Qualifications, Experience and Competencies Proficiency Level
The education, technical qualifications, experience and competencies are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Excellent leadership, communications and team building skills
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Technology, or Food Science preferred or
sufficient experience in the food industry to cover the technical skills needed.
* Certified in HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points)
* Certified in a Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standard such as BRC or SQF
* Understanding of microbiology aseptic sampling, methods, and interpretation
* 5-7 years food industry manufacturing or quality experience including leadership experience
* Good writing, statistics (SPC and charting), analytical, and critical thinking skills
* Proficient in computers including spreadsheets, statistical programs, and SAP applications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color or any other protected class.