This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OFFICE LOCATIONDelmont, New Jersey (NJ)NJ401WORK WITH USThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/about-us to learn more.The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.POSITION SUMMARYThe Freshwater Analyst works closely with an interdisciplinary team to increase the efficacy of TNC's freshwater conservation work in NJ through modeling, spatial and statistical analysis, as well as research and monitoring,
* ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
* The Freshwater Analyst is a two-year term position that will have the opportunity to support innovative freshwater conservation initiatives in New Jersey, with a focus on floodplain modeling and predicting ecosystem benefits at multiple scales. This position will be responsible for designing and conducting analyses that will help inform the freshwater team's efforts to prioritize, design, and implement a variety of restoration projects and initiatives. Spatial analysis projects will focus primarily on watershed-wide modeling of floodplain restoration potential to increase nutrient and sediment runoff. Flood modeling will also be incorporated, and while the emphasis of these products will be applied to conservation planning, work may also include more site-specific modeling/assessment of large restoration projects' potential benefits. Modeling efforts will be informed and supplemented as necessary by work in the field to collect on-the-ground data and ground-truth results. A key role of the Freshwater Analyst also will be to help increase the scientific rigor of restoration work and project/watershed-wide monitoring by providing support with study design, as well as data collection, management, and analysis. Planning areas and project sites span the urban-to-rural gradient and are located in multiple watersheds in New Jersey. This is a 24-month, paid position for 35 hours/week, based in Delmont, NJ. Housing may be available for rent.
* RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
* Compiles and formats data relating to hydrologic modeling, watershed assessment, stream monitoring, and site-based project evaluation.
* Resolves data disparities and modifies processes to generate consistent analytical results.
* Develops GIS and hydrologic modeling tools for freshwater conservation analyses, such as floodplain nutrient retention potential.
* Works with program staff to develop projects and prioritization approaches; contributes to proposals and conservation planning.
* Performs fieldwork, including ecosystem assessment and field monitoring.
* Communicates and presents project work to different audiences, ranging from technical experts to community groups
* May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, in hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
* MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* Bachelor's Degree in science related field and 2 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience with GIS software and proficiency in Python programming.
* Experience conducting spatial analyses, managing data and writing project reports.
* Valid driver's license.
* PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Advanced degree or background in hydrology or engineering, with a strong understanding of ecology and environmental processes and at least 1 year related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Thorough understanding of hydrology and a strong interest in developing/refining spatial models to assess ecosystem services.
* Experience in implementing advanced GIS analyses and a variety of models (for watershed assessment, hydraulic and hydrologic), as well as using statistical packages like R.
* Experience with ecological restoration projects and stream monitoring.
* Experience working effectively in partnership with public and private entities, as well as leading a small project team.
* Demonstrated project management experience and the ability to work independently and/or with minimal supervision.
* Ability to interpret guidelines and evaluate information and adapt accordingly.
* Strong writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills.HOW TO APPLYTo apply to position number 44286, submit resume and cover letter as one document. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:
59 p.m. Eastern Time on September 13, 2016. Please note that this is a 2 year position.Click 'submit' to apply for the position or 'save for later' to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
* The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
* The successful applicant must meet the requirements of
* The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
* Job Title:
* Freshwater Hydrologist
* New Jersey
* Job ID:
* Full/Part Time:
* Full-Time .