GENETIC COUNSELOR 9/8/2016
Yale New Haven Health
New Haven, CT
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Smilow Cancer Hospital Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program, a multidisciplinary service affiliated with the NCI designated Yale Cancer Center, is seeking qualified Genetic Counselors interested in working in a state of the art program that includes physician leaders specializing in different cancer pathologies that have a hereditary component. The mission of the program is to provide outstanding integrated patient care while keeping the academic commitment to teaching and performing research in different aspects of cancer genetics
* 1. Obtain and assess patient and family medical and psychosocial histories.
* 2. Provide patient education, psychosocial counseling, coordinate testing, facilitate decision-making, and make referrals as necessary.
* 3. Discuss results of diagnostic tests with program team to determine direction of counseling plans.
* 4. Participate in weekly multidisciplinary case conference.
* 5. Collaborate with the Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program Physician Leaders and Co-Directors to coordinate services.
* 6. Develop written reports on personal and family medical histories and test results.
* 7. May serve as a Lead Genetic Counselor to an assigned clinic for high risk patients.
* 8. Participate in institution-wide educational activities, such as tumor board, genetics rounds, Schwartz rounds, etc.
* 9. Opportunities for involvement in research, teaching, and community outreach.
* 10. Travel to outreach clinics may be required.
* 11. May perform other duties as assigned.
Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling or Human Genetics from an ACGC Accredited Program.
One year of experience as a genetic counselor in an oncology setting preferred. Research experience is a plus.
Board eligibility by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) or American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) required; certification preferred.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to work in a team focused approach.
**This position is based in New Haven with coverage at YNHH Fairfield and Bridgeport satellite locations.**