GI Oncology NP/PA
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/10/2016
END DATE 11/9/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Develops implements and evaluates a program of specialized health care for the Ambulatory Oncology population. Provides access for patients into the program and coordinates patient care through out the care continuum. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort between the medical staff, professional nurses and administrative staff, to ensure continuity of patient care and efficient use of resources.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Oncology NP/PA provides direct care to the Ambulatory Oncology population in collaboration with the physician and disease center team.
* Performs and records the patient history and physical exam and discusses findings with the physician.
* Utilizes advanced practice knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
* Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD) enhancing continuity of care.
* Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures particular to the select population mutually agreed upon with collaborating physician.
* Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medical administrators according to practice guidelines.
* Collaborates with unit staff and physicians to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
* Writes orders which are in accord with current guidelines.
* Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital regulations
Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
* Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
* Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
* Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for the unit-based nursing staff.
* Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
* Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
* Collaborates with nurse managers, clinical nurses and medical staff to plan, implement and evaluate pertinent change in practice and health care delivery.
* Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over utilization of services.
* Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
* Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
* Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for investigation.
* Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
* Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
* Conducts own research.
Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
* Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
* Identifies own learning needs and goals.
* Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces of the DON and the hospital.
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
* Current licensure in the commonwealth of Massachusetts as a registered NP or PA
* Master's Degree in Nursing or completion of NCCPA program
* Current certification as a nurse practitioner or physicians assistant in appropriate specialty to care for adult patients.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Demonstrated competence in specialized area.
* Clinic and inpatient settings
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.