Genetic Counselor 8/12/2016
University of California - Los Angeles Medical Centers
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title:
Genetic Cnslr 1-2
$35.36 / $6153
$52.34 / $9107
Layoff Referral Deadline:
Provide patient care intervention to the UCLA prenatal Diagnosis Center. Responsibilities include providing genetic counseling to patients, ensuring the coordination of the prenatal diagnostic clinic by identifying appropriate referrals and scheduling outpatient clinic appointments when necessary, assisting in the examination of children and adults when necessary and facilitating referrals for clinical or genetic testing.
1. Identify appropriate referrals: parents or families with possible genetic disorder in family; pregnancies at risk because of maternal disease or drugs; women requiring specific tests, such as amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling; pregnancies at risk because of abnormal ultrasound; expanded AFP result; carrier testing through amniocentesis.
2. Set up appointments, obtain appropriate medical records and test results.
3. Obtain family and pregnancy histories, counsel patients regarding risks, testing, etc.
4. Assist in examining children and adults.
5. Assist in referral for ultrasound, amniocentesis, genetic testing, etc.
6. Collect and collate all test results.
7. Prepare medical letters to parents/families and physicians.
8. Contact patients and physicians with results of tests.
9. Arrange appropriate follow-ups.
10. Coordinate referrals from State AFP coordinators.
11. Make sure all referrals, management of patients, records, etc. fulfill requirements of State for reimbursement. Supervise completion of medical records in accordance to State contract. Supervise outcome records and reports for reimbursement by State.
12. Arrange monthly meetings of staff for Prenatal Diagnosis Center and satellites. Keep records of same. Arrange and provide lectures and seminars for physicians, staff and lay persons.
13. Schedule patient appointments with detail over the telephone or from faxed referrals.
14. Record outpatient referrals into Department's computer database on that same day.
15. Request or pick up/return all medical records for scheduled UCLA patients.
16. Enter data into the hospital database network to facilitate registration and billing.
17. Call patients timely to confirm appointments.
18. Update computer database for any corrections regarding patient and physician information.
19. Assist Medical Director with special assignments, reports and letters.
20. This position has potential to expand to a full-time position.
1. Board certification or eligibility in genetic counseling. 2. Knowledge of genetic diseases and prenatal diagnosis screening tests. 3. Skills and knowledge to work on computer program (eg; SPSS) for the State Screening Program. 4. Ability to communicate medical information to patients and physicians. 5. Ability to collaborate with medical personnel at various departmental levels. 6. Knowledge of the California Health Department FP screening protocols and follow-up procedures. 7. Working knowledge of IBM compatible PC and Microsoft Word. 8. Ability to maintain accurate notes in a medical record. 9. Ability to educate, train and supervise genetic counseling interns. 10. Ability to work at multiple geographical sites on a rotating basis each week. 11. Valid California Driver License and possess own auto insurance. 12. Spanish language fluency preferred.
In an effort to promote and maintain a healthy environment for our patients, visitors, and employees, UCLA Health is a smoke-free site. Smoking is prohibited within the boundaries of all UCLA Health owned, occupied, leased, and associated buildings and facilities.