Genetic Counselor - Oncology Services 9/3/2016
Voorhees Township, NJ
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB DETAILS
GENETIC COUNSELOR - ONCOLOGY SERVICES
JOB ID 1039976 TYPE Employee - Part Time LOCATION Voorhees STANDARD HOURS 20
Provides genetic counseling and education for patients and families at high risk for developing cancer.
Documents patient encounters and test results in medical record.
Participates in community outreach efforts to educate public on genetic aspects of cancer and promotes cancer prevention and risk reduction strategies.
Collaborates with referring physicians and other members of the care team to facilitate testing process and communicating results.
Participates and supports research studies involving cancer risk assessment services.
* Obtains and expands a thorough medical and family history in a professional manner (cancer risk education and counseling) including obtaining medical records, blood and tissue samples.
* Provides genetic counseling for sporadic, familial, and hereditary forms of cancer.
* Compiles, interprets and conveys relevant clinical/laboratory findings to patients and care providers.
* Facilitates testing process and communicates results to patients.
* Obtains informed consent by providing risks and benefits of genetic testing. Provides a written record of counseling sessions to patient and/or referring physician in a timely manner.
* Involved coordinating and performing patient insurance verification, patient registration and activation or other aspects of billing and insurance for counseling and genetic testing or tumor testing.
* Coordinates all aspects of patient care including recruiting new patients and facilitating appointment scheduling.
* Attends clinical conferences or other meetings and applies knowledge gained to clinic practice.
* Collaborates with Program Manager to implement new programs, research protocols, and procedures to promote the use of and /or related to cancer genetic services.
* Promotes awareness and appropriate expansion of genetics program through meetings with physicians, healthcare providers and other appropriate individuals/groups.
* Works with Fox Chase Cancer Center to ensure highest clinical quality and adherence to guidelines and service standards.
* Provides both formal and informal information/education to students, health care professionals and the general public to promote awareness, risks and benefits of cancer genetics services.
* Assists in the development of research grants or proposals and professional presentations and/or manuscripts in the area of cancer genetics and risk programs.
* Communicates scientific advances and shares expertise in genetic counseling and cancer risk assessment research through presentations and/or publications.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED / EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Prior cancer or other genetic counseling experience preferred.
Knowledge of research methodology and computer applications.
Demonstrated ability in clinical and genetic counseling practice, patient and clinical staff teaching.
Training in cancer genetics, risk assessment, and counseling.
Requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with physicians, patients, and family members about risks for development of cancer, and probability that patient carries specific genetic mutation.
Must be able to organize and prioritize multiple and complex system, issues, and workload.
Bachelors of Science Degree.
Master s degree in genetic counseling.
Board Certified (BC) or Board Eligible (BE) designation by the ABMG and/or ABGC.
Genetic Counseling licensure by the state on NJ.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.