Geoscience Publications Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
The American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) is a non-profit membership organization whose purpose is to foster scientific research, to advance the science of geology, to promote technology, and to inspire high professional conduct. AAPG provides publications, conferences, and educational opportunities to geoscientists and disseminates the most current geological information available to the general public. With approximately 40,000 members in 129 countries, AAPG maintains offices in London, Dubai, Singapore, Bogot, and Lagos.
POSITION OVERVIEW AND SCOPE
This position has accountability for three print and digital product areas: TECHNICAL PUBLICATIONS (a monthly peer-reviewed technical journal and other special publications); EXPLORER, a monthly newspaper providing general industry information, emerging trends and membership news; and DATAPAGES, a for-profit digital publisher making geological publications accessible by archiving and cataloging geological information/publications and offering them for purchase in multiple electronic formats.
PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
To develop and implement a strategy to manage the business operations of AAPG's publishing program to: 1) enhance the profile of AAPG publications in the applied geosciences and particularly the oil and gas sector, 2) expand and broaden AAPG's customer base for its publications, and 3) develop AAPG publications as a significant revenue and profit-making component of AAPG's operations.
* Evaluate AAPG's current publishing portfolio (print/digital periodicals, books, data subscription products), content, revenue, margins, customers and current distribution channels against the current and potential market to define scope of commercially viable products/services and expand customer base.
* Expand the value of publications to AAPG through the development and implementation of strategic and tactical plans which maximize current resources, identify opportunities for synergy (within Publications and across Organization) and define profitable new products.
* Develop strategies to improve Datapages' financial performance through operational efficiencies, extended product line and expanding customer base.
* Lead strategic effort to envision "Explorer" future role within the AAPG portfolio of products/services.
* Communicate a clear and consistent vision of style and content to the staff, volunteers, and public forums to assure AAPG publication and communication products continuously advance the distribution of scientific information, remain relevant to customers, reflect emerging industry trends, effectively utilize technology for delivery and attract advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
* Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Marketing or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience is required.
* Minimum 10year's successful experience in a publishing (print and digital) environment with P&L accountability - preferably within the oil & gas industry.
* Managerial experience within an integrated publishing arena
* Proven success in marketing analysis
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Strong knowledge of Technical Publishing industry
* Strong knowledge of the oil & gas marketplace
* Advanced level of interpersonal, communications and influence skills with staff, AAPG members and advertisers/sponsors
* Knowledge of or ability to work with diverse group of disciplines from Geology, Editorial, publishing , and Information Technology disciplines
* Intermediate computer skills to include MS Office and information database systems
* Strong budget development, financial forecasting, and reporting skills
* Demonstrated competence with product selection/launch and growing distribution channels
* Build and maintain subscriber and customer contact lists