Global Triglyceride Emulsion Chemist 9/1/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Company Overview
Based in Columbus, Ohio, Hexion Inc. is the global leader in thermoset resins. Through a broad range of thermoset technologies and specialty products, Hexion serves and supports customers in a diverse range of applications and industries.
Hexion materials are found in products that touch nearly every facet of modern living. At Hexion, we believe that leadership begins with integrity, ethics and environmentally sound operations. When you work for Hexion, you are partnering with a company that is not only focused on delivering value but on doing it in a safe, ethical and environmentally responsible manner.
This exciting opportunity is part of Hexion Inc.
To function as part of a safe and environmentally responsible team focused on product development and introduction of new and existing PF resins to the North American Market. Optimize formula compatibility with our manufacturing capabilities, and with the processes used by the customers. Coordinate efforts with other chemists at other locations.
* Design, formulate and synthesize triglyceride based wax emulsions for the engineered wood products industry.
* Test physical and chemical properties of formulations. Prepare wood composites such as oriented strand board, particleboard or MDF.
* Assist Plant QC and production in troubleshooting wax quality issues.
* Provide technical assistance for customers; assist Technical Service and Sales with the introduction of new and improved products including commercial field trials.
* Support wax production needs through plant manufacturing processes.
* Keep accurate records and report results. Monitor current literature and patent activity.
* Maintain a clean and safe work area.
* Perform emulsion synthesis, laboratory wood composite preparation, and conduct physical property tests on wood composites.
* Ensure the business EH&S goals and targets are met and contribute to the EH&S culture of the business.
* Remain up to date with state-of-the-art knowledge in chemistry, emulsion technology and applications.
* Develop new commercial products and modify existing products formulation in response to sales and/or production needs.
* Develop new analytical methods and improve existing test method for both R&D and QC.
* Support technical service activities and new product evaluations with customers.
* Provide timely and high quality technical support to customers.
* Control plant product quality and troubleshoot product quality issues.
* Provide Temporary Recipes Changes for in-process and final non-conforming products.
* Minimum of 5 years in an R&D lab with field support responsibilities.
* Experience in designing and formulating petroleum and triglyceride based emulsions
* Experience working with hydrophobic materials.
* Wood Science/Forestry experience and experienced in the area of OSB, Wood Fiber, and Plywood adhesives is an asset.
* Satisfactory writing skills, laboratory techniques,
* Team player work ethic
* Ability to work independently
* Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Aptitude to understand technical concepts,
* Strong math, analytical skills, and mechanical abilities
* Familiarity of computer database management and software
* Working knowledge in statistics
* Working knowledge of SAP and MINITAB is a plus
PH.D,M.S. or B.S. Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Industrial Engineering.
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.