Group Underwriter III
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 11/18/2016
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary:
This position is accountable for the underwriting analysis and interpretation of specific large group experience and writing and retaining profitable business. Also responsible for developing benefit change proposals and participating in special projects.
* Develops and issues proposal rates for group size 51+ and experience rated proposals. Participates in completion of bid responses for Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and renewals providing rating and financial support.
* Develops and issues experience rated renewals for group size 51+.
* Develops annual renewal presentation by evaluating group specific experience, employing underwriting judgment and suggesting financial alternatives.
* Approves Group Enrollment Information (GEI) and Benefit Information Forms (BIFs) where applicable.
* Researches rate and benefit inconsistencies and issues corrections and/or recommendations.
* Assembles data and produces ERISA 5500 reports and settlements and issues to Sales, where applicable.
* Makes decisions to offer special financial arrangements to groups and monitors outcomes as required.
* Attends meetings with groups and brokers to discuss renewals and proposals and makes recommendations.
* Maintains and updates monthly financial reports necessary for Enterprise Operations.
* Participates and leads departmental projects which may include testing programs for accuracy and use, as needed.
* Covers for manager and trains junior staff as assigned by management.
* Performs other duties as assigned by management.
* Requires a bachelors degree, preferably in Math, Finance, Statistics, Economics, or Accounting. Analysis experience preferred.
* Requires minimum five (5) years rating and underwriting group health insurance.
* Requires knowledge of underwriting principles, new business rating methodology, benefit offerings, and financial mechanisms.
* Prefer knowledge of Horizon BCBSNJ products.
* Must be proficient in the use of personal computers and supporting software in a Windows based environment, including MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Lotus Notes; Should be knowledgeable in the use of intranet and internet applications.
* Requires strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
Skills and Abilities:
* Requires excellent Math abilities to be determined via interview and/or testing.
* Analytical & Problem Solving Skills
* Decision Making
* Attention to Detail
* Customer Focus
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability and any other protected class as required by federal, state or local law.
Sales / Account Management