HIM Clerk PRN - Doctors Hospital of Sarasota
Job Code: 25773-124023
Health Information Management (HIM) Clerk
Job Summary The Health Information Management Clerk is responsible for retrieving and reconciling medical
records and loose documentation from ancillary departments and nursing units. Other duties may include routine
data entry of unbilled reason codes, timely scanning and indexing of late loose documentation, assisting with
release of information (ROI) requests, answering phones, processing accounts assigned to the facility s Horizon
Patient Folder (HPF) work queues and processing HIM mail. This position may work a day or night shift, and may
work with limited supervision, depending upon the staffing needs of the facility HIM department.
Supervisor Facility Health Information Management (HIM) Leader
Duties Include but are not limited to:
* Retrieves discharged medical records from various nursing units and ancillary departments through the
hospital and reconciles them using Meditech compiled reports and/or automated reconciliation to ensure that
all records are accounted for and ready by the deadline for daily pickup by the courier.
* Places reconciled records in the designated courier bins for the HSC courier to retrieve and deliver to
Document Imaging operations.
* Batches, labels and routes loose reports, late charts and/or late documentation to HSC Document Imaging.
* Scans and indexes loose reports/documents that are identified as critical to coding and prioritizes them
according to policy.
* Coordinates the retrieval and printing of medical records from storage, as well as the storage, archival and
record retention of documents and/or other Alternate Media that cannot be scanned into HPF to include
monitor strips (e.g. fetal monitor strips, EKGs, etc.)
* Assists customers with ROI requests, ensuring the validity and authorization of the request, routing to
Healthport, and processing urgent requests on a limited basis.
* May perform routine data entry to assist in updating applicable unbilled reason codes (URCs) into appropriate
systems (HPF, Meditech, Reconciliation Tool) if chart not received/reconciled within established timeframes.
* May assist with the physician suspension process by printing, stuffing and sending out notice letters when
directed, making reminder calls, or recording suspension data in Meditech.
* Processes facility specific HIM mail as applicable.
* May assist with physician questions related to HPF and the physician portal or other issues that may arise.
* Maintains or exceeds established productivity and quality standards.
* Practices and adheres to the Company s Code of Conduct philosophy and Mission and Value statement.
* Other duties as assigned.
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
* Adaptability maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work
environment; able to adapt to change in environment, work structure/processes, or requirements positively
* Communications communicates clearly, proactively, and concisely with all key stakeholders; able to maintain
effectiveness when dealing with difficult situations or people.
* Customer Focus ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind decisions and activities;
implementing services and practices that meet the customers and organization s needs.
* Initiating Action takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; responds quickly and independently, and
takes action that goes beyond the job requirements in order to achieve objectives.
* Managing Work effectively managing one s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
* Quality Orientation accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing
concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of
* Work Standards setting high standards of performance for self; assuming responsibility and accountability
for successfully completing assignments.
* Must demonstrate proficiency in computer skills and some knowledge of regulatory compliance.
High school diploma or equivalent required
1 year experience in an office or hospital environment preferred. Previous experience in the handling of patient
health information and/or medical records is strongly preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye hand coordination and manual
dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment.
Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports.
Responsibilities may require lifting papers or boxes up to 50 lbs with assistance on occasion. May be expected to
push or pull 50 lbs on occasions. Work is performed in an office environment. Work may be stressful at times.
Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide
staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations.
Last Edited: 09/06/2016