HVAC Technician Specialist
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY BERKELEY LAB IS BRINGING SCIENCE SOLUTIONS TO THE WORLD, AND YOU CAN BE A PART OF IT!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, finance or other operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Berkeley Labs Energy Analysis Environmental Impacts Division has an immediate opening for a HVAC Technician Specialist to join the Energy Efficiency Standards (EES) group to assist with HVAC equipment set up and testing in a balanced calorimeter AC test chamber and a psychrometric AC test chamber, and to provide technical support for the AC Chamber operation and Maintenance.
* Perform setup and testing to a variety of air conditioning products. Set up equipment and run tests following Department of Energy (DOE) or industrial standards, collect data and generate data reports, communicate with internal and external clients on the test requests and test results. Troubleshoot, diagnose and repair the equipment as needed.
* Apply advanced and specialized HVAC expertise to maintain a suite of instruments and perform testing and research activities in the test chambers.
* Operate and maintain the test chambers, follow all LBNL safety protocol, maintain documentation of test chamber activity record.
* Independent judgment and discretion, diagnose issues related to services and operation of the test chambers.
* Work on assignments that is complex in nature where independent action and a high degree of initiative are required in resolving problems and developing recommendations.
* Assist in establishing, maintaining, and enforcing policies on using the chamber facilities.
* Perform calibration of the test chamber equipment, and maintain instrumentation calibration record.
* Develop solutions to complex testing related problems that require regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
* Perform experiments based on the test protocols established by the leading researchers. Work independently, but in alliance with researchers or other professional personnel engaged in experimental work.
* Provide complex technical services to EES staff engaged in the testing activities in support of LBNLs projects or programs.
* Attend team meetings and present status reports and scientific findings.
* Maintain an accurate and detailed record of chamber work.
* May lead and provide technical guidance to other employees
* Advanced field service or lab testing technical skills in HVAC field acquired through a combination of college-level technical training or technical school and/or work experience
* Several years of HVAC field service or lab testing experience preferred.
* Demonstrated experience in working independently to perform tasks as described in the duties/responsibilities section above.
* Thorough understanding of the application of technical principle, theories and concepts related to AC test chamber and AC products.
* Ability to understand and apply skills to solve problems posed by the supervisor, such as test planning and specific testing applications.
* Ability to set-up, operate, troubleshoot, debug and store equipment utilized in unconventional research experimentation.
* Familiarity with the operation and maintenance of lab tools and equipment required for the AC chambers testing activities.
* Thorough understanding of the fundamentals of temperature, humidity and pressure measurement and airflow measurement. Thorough understanding of electrical wiring and controls in air conditioning units.
* Must be EPA certified
* Must be QEW (Qualified Electrical Worker) or equivalent.
* Effective problem solving skills with the ability to troubleshoot complex test facility issues.
* Capability to collect test data.
* Excellent organizational, analytical, and record-keeping skills.
* Ability to learn and use instrumentations and software which is new or with which she/he is nor familiar with.
* Ability to communicate effectively on technical matters with scientists and engineers and to instruct/give work direction to other employees.
THE POSTING SHALL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED, HOWEVER FOR FULL CONSIDERATION, PLEASE APPLY BY CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON AUGUST 20, 2016.
* This is a career appointment.
* Incumbents in this position are represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
* Salary will be predetermined based on range determined by collective bargaining agreement.
* This position requires completion of a background check.
Berkeley Lab addresses the worlds most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Labs scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energys Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."