Head, Strategic Investments
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/30/2016
END DATE 10/15/2016
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
Serve as the business owner of the deal process at Mosaic, including all deal activities from origination to closing of a transaction as well as owning and nurturing Mosaic s relationships with private equity Limited Partners. Identify and source compelling investment opportunities independently and in partnership with vertical market leads to maintain a strong pipeline of quality deal opportunities for Mosaic and drive the strategic investment program of Mosaic Health Solutions/BCBSNC. Accountable for creating deals structures that enable earnings growth maximization (through capital appreciation, dividends, etc.) for Mosaic. Provide expertise, advice and counsel on commercial contracting and structuring opportunities with either potential investments or portfolio companies. Validate strategic rationale and support vertical market leads on driving commercialization opportunities and garnering support with core business stakeholders.
* Serve as key resource to executive management on financial, deal and contract matters central to the investment and divestiture process.
* Provide executive guidance /direction/insights on deal opportunities to Mosaic leadership, vertical leads and core business stakeholders.
* Establish, develop and maintain relationship with target company, sponsoring VC or PE firm, and other company-specific stakeholders through all phases of the deal.
* Identify and source potential deal opportunities from internal and external networks, PE/VC partners, and investment banking to drive deal flow.
* Attend conferences / workshops to gather competitive intelligence, and identify market trends, partnership opportunities, and compelling investment ideas.
Exploratory function responsibilities:
* Explore potential transaction structures in order to maximize potential economic outcomes while minimizing risks
* Assess business and revenue/profit models of target companies, market dynamics, deal economics and financial potential of investments.
Assessment phase responsibilities:
* Work alongside vertical market leads and advisors to assess partnership, commercial and transaction opportunities
* Understand opportunity / build case for opportunity with key core business stakeholders and Mosaic team and assist in the delivery of the initial business case.
Transaction phase responsibilities:
* Negotiate and develop deal terms with target company, VC/PE sponsor or other relevant stakeholders
* Manage external advisor process to ensure transaction objectives and timelines are met and terms and intent are accurately represented.
* Lead and manage all aspects of due diligence covering business, financial, tax, legal, operating, etc.
* Work with Mosaic staff to develop final business case with a specific emphasis on transaction and financial related matters
* Participate in Mosaic and/or BCBSNC board approval process for targeted investments
Post close responsibilities:
* Ensure the transition at transaction closing to Mosaic s portfolio management lead and vertical market lead is smooth and well planned
* Act as a resource on post close matters related to the transaction
Performance management responsibilities:
* Develop opportunities for portfolio companies that maximize the economic value of the businesses (e.g., follow on acquisitions, partnership, JVs, etc.)
* Lead and manage any subsequent capital raise activities for portfolio companies
* Lead and manage sell/exit process for portfolio companies
* Provide support to Mosaic leadership on performance matters as needed.
* Bachelor s degree.
* Minimum of 10 years of professional finance work experience with at least 8 years direct M&A transaction experience in investment banking, corporate development and/or private equity.
* Healthcare experience is strongly preferred
* Must have experience on the buy-side of transactions in either a corporate development or private equity role.
* Increasing levels of responsibility throughout career to include management of complex transactions from inception to close.
* Direct experience leading deal and contract negotiations, as well as resolving complex business issues and developing complex contracts and serving as the principal liaison to senior business executives.
* Minimum of 5 years experience leading cross functional teams, coaching and/or directly managing staff.
* Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration strongly preferred.
* Master s degree or MBA strongly preferred.
* Exceptional financial and analytical skills with command of valuation methodologies
* Command of transaction structuring
* Demonstrated ability to work independently.
* Strong communicator, able to negotiate and clearly articulate goals and objectives.
* Comfortable networking both internally and externally with key stakeholders, including investment bankers, venture capitalists, private equity firms, and executive teams of companies.
* Ability to make data driven decisions under strict time deadlines.
* Excellent initiative and interpersonal skills.
* Strong interpretation and translation skills ability to understand technical / expert jargon and business needs to help bridge communication gaps.
* Highly proficient skills in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
* Strong team leadership and motivation skills.