Head of Viral Production Cell Lines (Scientific Operations Manager)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2016
END DATE 10/26/2016
Saint Louis, MO
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Head of the Viral Production Cell Line group will work with the Leadership Team to create business, innovation and new product development strategies whilst ensuring the achievement of financial objectives. Specifically, the position will collaborate with Marketing and Strategic innovation colleagues to create and drive short and long-term strategies to generate viral producer lines and protocols to achieve stable high titers in scalable bioreactor systems from process development to production scale. Will collaborate with multifaceted R&D organization across multiple sites to evaluate, develop and implement business critical technologies and product and to build capabilities for an emerging business. Provide strong leadership skills with the ability to analyze complex business operations and implement strategies to improve performance. Manage and coordinate personnel, inventory and capital resources to assist manufacturing of products to meet customer demands and company goals.
* Drive the global development and implementation of the R&D strategy to allow the Business Field to outgrow the market.
* Overseeing the creation, development and design of products, investigation of new technologies and experimentation directed at the practical application of technology
* Responsible for the R&D budget of the respective function
* Portfolio Delivery Execute on program plans for quality, cost and schedule targets
* R&D Investment - ensure alignment to business unit and Segment strategies, and facilitate prioritization across various projects in the portfolio.
* Operations and Commercial Excellence - Partner with Quality, Operations and Commercial to transfer product development requirements to production.
* Communication Excellence - Provides routine reports to executive management team on results to plan and key issues including roll-up and tracking of R&D budgets. Translate broad corporate strategies into clear, specific objectives for the R&D function of the business segment, with a solutions orientation, demonstrating an understanding of full product lifecycle management.
* Drive Innovation Develop innovation and IP strategies with technology, product, and platform roadmaps and required capabilities to deliver the business strategy.
* Strategic partnerships - Develop strategy for partnerships (internal and external) to optimize product development.
Scope of People Responsibilities:
* Create technical and managerial opportunities to grow next generation leaders, managing a globally driven R&D organization
* Talent Management - Develop and drive talent management strategy for R&D. Coordinate the selection, training, development, motivation and evaluation of employees within the department. Guide, motivate and develop supervisors and provide overall guidance of personnel development within the department.
* Provide strong avenues of communication for employees maintaining a foundation of Respect and Dignity and emphasizing company values.
* Network with key opinion leaders in both external and internal scientific communities by attending conferences and fostering collaborations with academic and commercial thought leaders around the world.
* Education: PhD or equivalent with extensive molecular biology, cell biology and virology training
* Work Experience:
* 10+ years of experience in successfully leading cross-functional teams in R&D
* Strong track record of successfully delivering reagent innovation to market and driving results with a sense of urgency
* Extensive experience in recombinant DNA and expression technologies with a focus on biotherapeutic production.
* Broad knowledge of virology including the design of delivery vector and cell line optimization strategies to reproducibly achieve stable high titers in large bioreactors
* Experience establishing and implementing ISO9001, GLP and cGMP regulatory standards and processes.
Job Specific Competencies and Skills:
* Must have excellent leadership and communication skills with experience in building and managing teams of cross-functional experts
* Demonstrated ability to identify complementary technologies to expand the portfolio (chemistry and cell biology primarily, as well as instrumentation
* Broad business skills beyond purely R&D with experience in a customer facing, streamlining business processes or business strategy role such as marketing, general management or business planning
* Ability to effectively negotiate with and influence customers, partners, vendors, and internal staff as required
* Strong talent management and people development skills
MilliporeSigma is the North American life science brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany a leading science and technology company. It offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.