Health & Safety Specialist 9/1/2016
Yale New Haven Health
New Haven, CT
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY OVERVIEW
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of Manager of Clinical Operations, oversees, coordinates, and/or provides guidance to the staffs of Occupational Health Services, Compensation and Benefits, Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control (HEIC), Legal Affairs /Risk Management, Institute for Excellence (IFE), YNHH-YSC Employee Health & Safety Committee, Human Resource Information System (HRIS), Human Resources (HR), Plant Engineering, Facilities Design & Construction (FD & C), Accreditation Safety and Regulatory Affairs (ASRA) , and others as needed for ergonomic work design and work regulatory consultation. department safety teams, administration, managers, supervisors, and employees on surveillance methods, hazard control methods , mandatory training requirements , health and safety training content, and data collection. Ensures that health and safety training and content applying to healthcare workers are created and conducted in compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
* 1. Conducts comprehensive and ongoing reviews of federal and/or state standards that are applicable to the health care/hospital working environment and designs comprehensive compliance plans, assigning responsibilities for safety protocol development, where necessary, to the appropriate department, group and/or individual.
* 1.1 Co-chairs the YNHH-YSC Employee Health and Safety Committee with the manager of Worker's Compensation services. Provides quarterly and annual employee injury/illness summary reports as required by Worker's Compensation Commission, State of CT and as requested and/or required by the TJC and other regulatory agencies and departments.
* 2. Conducts ongoing review of all YNHH job descriptions to determine health and safety training requirements and computer-based training category for each based on position, department, job duties and level of risk. Performs entry of health and safety training requirements into Healthstream. Performs entry of healthcare respirator fit testing requirements by department and position into Human Resources/Lawson database.
* 2.1 Collaborates with IFE, Center for Professional Practice Excellence (CPPE) and HEIC on content of new employee orientation and appropriate facilities safety personnel, annual mandatory occupational safety and health and infection control training updates.
* 3. Conducts comprehensive and ongoing reviews of federal and/or state standards that are applicable to the health care/hospital working environment and designs comprehensive compliance plans, assigning responsibilities for safety protocol development, where necessary, to the appropriate department, group and/or individual.
* 3.1 Supports the activities of the YNHH Employee Health and Safety Committee YSC through collaborative quality improvement team participation and assistance in research, data collection, analysis and reporting.
* 4. Surveys compliance in practice including, but not limited to, bloodborne pathogens, airborne pathogens , respirator use, health and safety training, use of appropriate personal protective equipment, and exposure monitoring. Submits report of findings to Director of Occupational Health Services (and/or others) as requested.
* 4.1 As requested, assists with regularly scheduled hazard surveillance inspections throughout all clinical, public/common, mechanical, support, and office/business spaces as evidenced by written inspection reports using federal/OSHA regulations, TJC standards, state, local fire and building codes, CDC and Infection Control guidelines, and recommended safe work practices including but not limited to ergonmics.
* 5. Performs all patient care responsibilities in Occupational Health Services that are consistent with age-specific criteria in relationship to the treatment of illness or injury, and/or to meet training needs of employees.
* 5.1 Manages respirator fit testing and training for health care workers and others exposed to tuberculosis. Maintains fit testing statistics and assists the Occupational Health Coordinator with employee fit testing database management, as requested. Maintains fit testing data for non-employees and annual fit testing data for employees.
Bachelor*s degree in a related field required; RN preferred. Master of Science degree in occupational safety and
health management or industrial hygiene preferred
Five (5) or more years related experience in an adult acute care hospital required. Three (3) to five (5) years in
occupational health and/or health and safety required. Performance management training preferred. Recommended
but not required is certification by the American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, Inc., Board of Certified
Healthcare Safety Management, and/or American Association of Industrial Hygienists, First Aid and BLS certification preferred. Demonstrated participation in OSHA and TJC compliance training. Demonstrated experience in implementing hospital -wide training and/or compliance programs.
Experience with OSHA compliance preferred.
Licensed and currently registered in the State of Connecticut.
Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, organizational, and customer service skills. Must be self-motivating and have the ability to exercise independent judgement in the development of plans and protocols to be submitted for approval and day-to-day work routine. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have demonstrated knowledge of OSHA regulations and TJC standards. Must be familiar with the following applications : Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and appropriate HTML database and report writer software; and SYSTOC and Epic programs. Must be able to plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate multiple facets of occupational health and safety. Must have a willingness to learn and apply knowledge. Must be able to conduct training sessions to la rge groups of employees.
Valid Connecticut driver's license as off-site evaluations are required. Position duties and responsibilities may require prolonged standing and walking; use of sight, hearing and touch; and the moving /lifting (or assisting with) employees and supplies/equipment of varying weights in the course of clinical duties or work evaluations. Must be able to lift and push/pull minimum of 30 lbs.