Health and Safety ( HSE ) Manager 8/24/2016
American Bridge Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY American Bridge Company
Job Title: Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Manager
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt Summary
The Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) Manager will be responsible to create and sustain a productive work culture and safe work environment in order to avoid and minimize HSE related problems. These problems include but are not limited to human injury, environmental degradation and unsafe working conditions/practices. This is done through health, safety and environmental training, programs, and processes with a visible and uncompromised commitment to the protection of the environment as well as the productivity of the Company's employees.
Requirements: *B.S. in Technical Discipline such as Industrial Hygiene, Safety Engineering, etc.
*10 to 12years of experience as a Safety Professional
*Must keep active certifications and documentation and MUST BE CAL OSHA CERTIFIED WITH LEAD AND CONTAMINATED SOILS. INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE CERTIFICATION WOULD BE A PLUS.
*Will be assigned to the California operating unit/district, conducts safety and health audits of project(s) under unit/district
*Leads safety training sessions as necessary May manage a safety staff
* Calculation and control of HSE budgets, staffing requirements and schedules; preparation of certification/classification programs and the preparation of the supporting HSE documents; coordination and execution of Safety Cases and support studies; QuantitativeRisk Assessments; Process Hazard Analyses; Fire Protection Specifications and Environmental Impact Assessments as required by certification or regulatory entities
* Ensures project site adheres to company and regulatory HSE standards and guidelines
* Conducts onsite risk assessment and mitigation
* Manages, trains and supervises HSE employees, inspectors, nurses, medics, and other employees working in the HSE department on a project through an expert knowledge of the Company's HSE standards, programs and goals
* Manages the application of HSE procedures as established by the Company on a project site or in an office through departmental training.
* Provides guidance, assistance and advice through interpretation of Company HSE practices and procedures in relation to client requirements and current legislation and regulations
* Liaises as necessary between the Company, Client, insurance carriers and regulatory agencies in order to provide assistance and resolution in regard to audits, remedial actions, worker's compensationclaims and other HSE related issues
* Makes decisions independently on engineering/scientific problems and methods relating to HSE using advanced techniques, modifications and extensions of theories, precepts and practices of the particular field, related sciences and disciplines
* Provides input for HSE permit preparation on projects by maintaining expert knowledge of current guidelines and regulations
* Develops, customizes, and supervises the implementation of HSE programs, including project site-based HSE orientation, recognition and awards programs, to all levels of project staff to ensure a balance between productivity and the safety of project staff and visitors in accordance with applicable laws and regulations
* Initiates, fosters and maintains HSE standards and goals through company and/or project wide HSE programs to heighten awareness and ensure a safe and productive work environment
* Supervises the monitoring of HSE metrics in order to provides recommendations to HSE management when necessary to meet Company HSE standards and goals
* Oversees the development of approaches and solutions to HSE-related issues including managing investigations of accidents and near-misses, summarization of findings, and recommendation of strategies to prevent recurrences; supervises proposals and the implementation of a course of action approved by the Company and the Client
* Oversees the collection, protection and data storage related to project incidents that may result in litigation
* Supervises the preparation, maintenance, retrieval, and communication of records, reports, or documents that may be required to meet corporate or regulatory requirements, including monitoring the application of HSE standards and goals
Other Skills and Abilities
*Must be able to legally work in the United States.
*Must be willing to work in a drug-free environment and agree to a post offer drug test.
*Must be willing to work safely and keep OSHA recordable incidents to a minimum.
*Comprehensive knowledge of industry standards and specialty bridge design software; must be proficient with MS Office.
*Good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively plan and organize to meet project deadlines.
May be responsible for management of one or more Health and Safety Representatives
Education and/or Experience
A Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent combination of education and experience. *Must be willing to travel in North America
*Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
*Must have good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team.
*Strong management skills. Strong in developing an organization through team building, motivation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers, hands or feet; reach with hands and arms and talk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Foreign Language skills are a major plus (particularly Spanish), or at least comfort level in overseas environments.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The primary work environment is a Construction/Job Site setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
American Bridge Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection is based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. American Bridge does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristics.