Help Desk Specialist 1
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/16/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
Enterprise Information Services
JOB DESCRIPTIONNumber of Openings: 1
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor is the principal Federal agency responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy. Their mission is to collect, analyze, and disseminate essential economic information to support public and private decision making. As an independent statistical agency, BLS serves its diverse user communities by providing products and services that are objective, timely, accurate, and relevant.
Enterprise Information Services, Inc. (EIS) in partnership with our prime contractor, Trowbridge & Trowbridge will be providing the full spectrum of Information Technology services to support the BLS mission. Our contract includes helpdesk, end-user services, systems administration, network administration, systems engineering, storage management and IT security.
The Help Desk Specialist Department provides all aspects of end-user and workstation support. This primarily includes workstation and printer installation and repair, configuration and support for operating systems, off-the-shelf software, custom application software, minor network cabling required for workstation installation, troubleshooting of workstation application problems, connectivity and performance, as well as user account management. This group is also used for the monitoring of system and server performance through defined tools and procedures and for generally less advanced server administration tasks, such as tape backups and patch installations.
* Help Desk support in the National Office for ticket creation, routing, and resolution
* System monitoring and escalation support
* Handles incoming calls and system alerts, logs and refers the calls and alerts as appropriate, and assists users either in person, over the phone, or both
* Under supervision, provides lower-level technical and end-user support for commercial PC operating systems and COTS and/or custom applications
* As required, inventories user equipment/accessories, sends/receives replacement computers/parts and updates the database to reflect the status and resolution of any user problems
* Maintains records of contacts and system problem/resolution logs for trends analysis
* Performs basic account management such as: resetting passwords, unlocking accounts, and modifying user groups
* Diagnoses causes of PC and server hardware problems/failures and repairs/replaces/adjusts faulty PC and server hardware components.
* Performs preventive maintenance
* Installs boards, peripheral devices, new PCs and servers, etc., including making any necessary network connections
* Moves, reinstalls, and configures PCs, servers, printers and other devices while making any necessary network connections
* Works with higher-level staff on system hardware and software problems, cable plant redesigns and expansions, cable plant documentation, etc
* Provides technical support for stand-alone and network printers, including high capacity, high-speed printers
* Provides end-user help to BLS staff in the use of BLS standard operating system software and commercial software such as Microsoft Office
* Responsible for logging and tracking incident and problem issues in the trouble ticketing system throughout the incident and problem lifecycles and communicates with the affected customers to keep them apprised of restoral status in accordance with approved processes and procedures
* Work on projects as assigned
One (1) year experience in customer/user service, either in person, over the phone, or both
One (1) year experience with Microsoft Windows client or server operating systems
One (1) year experience with commercial office automation software
One (1) year experience in diagnosing and resolving PC and printer problems.
Knowledge of client systems in a network environment, including the basic operation of network switches and cabling * Strong Hardware skills desired
* US Citizen able to pass a govenment background check
Full-time Hourly: $18.92 + benefits
EIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/V/Disabled.