Histology Lab Assistant
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 10/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
Assists the Pathologist in the day-to-day operations of Histology. Accurately processes, organizes, labels slides and cassettes, and prepares the work bench for the Pathologist for gross analysis. Inputs orders in the computer and prepares the specimens for transport to The Methodist Hospital Histology Laboratory. Assists with maintaining section procedures for compliance with CAP standards. Assists routinely with quality assurance data collection. Follows established procedures as set forth by Medicare and other regulatory agencies. Essential Functions listed under Job Duties and Responsibilities below.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares specimens in Histology for gross analysis. This includes: receiving specimens, labeling slides and cassettes, logging specimens from histology forms, and ordering correct procedures. EF
2. Assists the Pathologists in gross analysis and intraoperative consultations. EF
3. Assists in maintaining reagents and supply inventory. Changes and dates staining solutions on regular basis to ensure accuracy of stain. EF
4. Monitors and records maintenance checks and quality control for all histology equipment. EF
5. Files slides and/or blocks in numeric order for slides and/or blocks filed on site. Assists in retrieval of slides and maintaining of log for outside consultations. EF
6. Assists with Fine Needle Aspirations. EF
7. Maintains tissue inventory as well as tissue disposition. Archives and distributes gross specimen photographs as needed. EF
8. Distributes processed slides to the pathologists. EF
9. Assists Coordinator with quality assurance data and documentation. EF
10. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement and complies with the business practices standards for performance.
11. Demonstrates high standards in providing customer service/patient satisfaction.
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Previous histology experience within a hospital lab setting preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Ability to handle stressful situations
Ability to communicate with all customers in a friendly and helpful manner
Ability to learn new processes and train others when needed
See Activity Checklist for Specifics
Works with materials that require working knowledge of Universal Precaution policies and procedures. Must be familiar with Personal Protective Equipment and have knowledge of when to use. Works with some hazardous chemicals and must be familiar with MSDS sheets.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.