Human Resources Internship - Winter 9/9/2016
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation
Grand Rapids, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It's extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients \\"Ask for Mary,\\" they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Provides support to the HR team as needed. In working with the Recruiters, HR Administrator and other HR staff as required, the HR intern will be involved with daily tasks and project work which will give the intern gainful experience in the HR field.
This is an unpaid internship.
Essential Intern functions: The HR internship will be tailored to match the intern's skills and help in developing new skills in the HR field. A sampling of job assignments and projects are listed below. The intern may work in all of these areas or just a few.
* Criminal History Checks
* Perform Reference Checks as needed
* Interview Process
* Licensure verification
* Education degree verification
* Social networking
* Human Resources
* Recordkeeping including current and former employee recordkeeping, medical files, background check files.
* Prepare Payroll Checks for distribution
* Diversity Scholarships
* Event planning (United Way Campaign, Annual/Monthly anniversary recognition)
* Compensation and Benefits
* Pension - Assist in locating lost participants
* Special reporting, comparison and benchmarking projects.
* Provide support and coordination of wellness activities and other employee activities, i.e. awards banquet, monthly luncheons, etc.
* HR Projects
* Reorganize Files
* Exit Interview / Online
* Review I-9 files, criminal and background checks, reference forms and corporate for terminated employees and do proper close-out.
Customer Service Responsibilities:
Demonstrates excellent customer service behaviors consistent with organizational and departmental standards. Consistently promotes teamwork and direct communication with co-workers. Deals discretely and sensitively with confidential information.
Responsibilities in Quality Improvement:
Contributes by identifying problems and seeking solutions. Promotes patient/family satisfaction where possible; participates in departmental efforts to monitor and report customer service.
Essential Intern Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
* Completed course work in Business field with an emphasis in the HR field. Student should be a junior or senior level student at an accredited business college.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
* Proven ability to create graphs, forms and databases and summarize results.
* Internet and web experience including social networking experience.
* Competent language, spelling, and grammar skills with the ability to proof business documents.
* The ability to demonstrate initiative and responsibility, perform multiple tasks, attend to detail, meet deadlines, adapt quickly to changes, and respond well to feedback.
* Good interpersonal and telephone skills.
* Physical Demands:
* Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time)
* Able to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally
* Able to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing.
* Able to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)
Recruiter and HR Administrator
10 -15 hours per week for a 10-12 week period. Actual hours and duration of internship will be determined at the time of position being awarded.
This is an unpaid intern position. The reward will be the valuable experience gained in the areas of Human Resources.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of this position, you must request accommodation in writing, within 182 days after you know or should know of the need for accommodation.