Human Resources Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/26/2016
END DATE 10/25/2016
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Auto req ID
Human Resources Manager
Morgan Lewis & Bockius is currently looking for an HR Manager in the Los Angeles, CA office. This position is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Human Resources department. Responsibilities include the functional areas of recruitment, compensation, benefits, staff utilization and planning, employee relations, performance management, counseling, training and development, recognition programs, and personnel policy administration.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Manages the recruitment process for all legal and administrative staff positions, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and internal policies and procedures
* Ensures compliance with affirmative action plan
* Establishes uniform employment policies/practices; educates managers
* Manages the utilization of secretarial staff; provides supervision as needed
* Initiates and recommends policies/procedures to maximize utilization of all staff
* Advises attorneys, managers and staff regarding the application of personnel policies, compliance issues, and problem resolution
* Researches and resolves employee relations issues
* Investigates complaints of harassment or discrimination; recommends and implements corrective action
* Provides coaching and counseling to managers and staff in the areas of performance management and conflict resolution
* Guides and directs the counseling, disciplinary and termination processes
* Consults with HR Director, CHRO, or LEC as needed
* Manages employee recognition programs
* Conducts exit interviews for all personnel
* Manages performance review process for all personnel
* Manages compensation review process for all personnel
* Administers the compensation programs; analyzes changing business and economic needs; makes recommendations for salary and/or market adjustments
* Prepares and maintains position descriptions; determines FLSA status
* Initiates and participates in surveys related to wages, benefits, leave programs, turnover, and other related matters
* Monitors timesheets, ensuring that staff are paid properly and timely
* Supports the benefits administration program for the local office; conducts benefits orientation
* Manages all leave programs for all personnel, including vacation, sick, STD, LTD, FMLA, ensuring compliance with legal requirements and firm policies
* Manages workers compensation program for all personnel
* Identifies training needs; makes recommendations on training programs to ensure maximum employee effectiveness; coordinates with Technical Education departments to enhance technical skills
* Conducts Harassment Prevention Training
* Facilitates Management Development Training, New Hire Orientation and other office training
General HR Management
* Manages and directs various record-keeping systems, including personnel files, medical files, time and attendance, I-9s, Lawson, PANs, benefits enrollment, FMLA tracking, etc.
* Directs preparation of reports as requested; responds to requests for reports from Firm HR and others
* Assists in the formulation of office and firm HR policies
* Ensures compliance with Firm policies and procedures, including interpretation, communication, administration and implementation
* Oversees planning and coordination of staff events (e.g., staff appreciation day, anniversary luncheons, etc)
* Assists with special projects, such as staffing initiatives, professional development programs, Firm initiatives, etc
* Interfaces with Firm departments as needed
* Leads by example; establishes clear expectations; sets direction and priorities; ensures that work levels are balanced among all staff; resolves internal staff issues in a timely manner; keeps staff informed of all appropriate information; builds effective team; delegates at appropriate level.
* Facilitates the development of staff by providing opportunities and support; provides timely feedback on work product; regularly coaches, evaluates, and recognizes staff performance and accomplishments.
* Establishes/adheres to Department budget; seeks opportunities to improve Department efficiency and reduce expenses by streamlining operations.
Performs other duties as assigned
* The incumbent of this job directly supervises up to five (5) employees. He/she carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the firm's policies and applicable laws. He/she is also responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of their work as well as the work of those reporting to them.
* Bachelor's degree from four-year accredited college or university required.
* Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible human resources leadership experience with at least two years in a supervisory role; or
* Equivalent combination of education and experience.
* PHR Certification preferred
* Excellent written and oral communications skills
* Participative and consultative management style; interacts well with all levels of management and staff
* Ability to function as a hands-on practitioner; technically strong in most HR functional areas
* High energy; self-motivated; results oriented
* Confident manner; ability to establish credibility quickly
* Ability to work comfortably in a matrix organization
* Ability to deal positively with adversity and difficult situations
* Team player who can establish trust with all levels of personnel
* Strong leadership and supervisory skills
* Excellent judgment
* Strong analytical skills
* Proficiency with technology required for the job
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Strong project management skills
* Planning/organizational skills
* Problem solving skills
* Ability to adapt to change and balance competing demands
* Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business and professional publications, prepare business correspondence, proposals and reports, effectively present information to groups of employees, and respond to questions from employees, managers, clients and vendors.
* Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions
Qualified candidates must apply online by visiting our website at www.morganlewis.com and selecting Careers.
Morgan Lewis is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.