IBX Network Technician (Cable Landing Station Technician)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/13/2016
END DATE 1/20/2017
Boca Raton, FL
JOB DESCRIPTIONIBX Network Technician (Cable Landing Station Technician)
The Cable Landing Station (CLS) Technician (CLS Tech) at Equinix s MI3 facility located in Boca Raton, FL will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the MONET submarine cable system equipment located at MI3. He/she will be the main point of contact within Equinix having responsibility to ensure that all faults, planned work and activation requests are carried out to comply with Service Level Obligations (SLOs), and that all processes and procedures as defined in the Monet Joint System Maintenance Document (JSMD) are being correctly followed. This role requires that all issues are handled efficiently by providing quick resolution or work around and status updates in a timely manner. The CLS Tech will be supported by a CLS Lead Tech. In addition to sharing daily responsibility with the CLS Lead Tech for the maintenance and operation of the Monet submarine cable system, the CLS Tech will be available at such times the CLS Lead Tech is not available (such as holidays, vacation, or illness). The CLS Tech will also have available the Equinix on-site technicians on an as needed basis subject to coordination with the MI3 Senior Manager. The CLS Lead Tech will report to the Senior Manager, MI3 IBX Operations. The CLS Tech will report to the CLS Lead Tech.
* Manage the MONET power feed equipment (PFE), transmission equipment (SLTE), line monitoring equipment (LME), and network management system (NMS) maintenance (scheduled and non-scheduled), operations, and repair under procedures defined in the JSMD or as directed by the MONET Primary NOC (PNOC).
* Coordinate all Equinix associated activities and obligations of a submarine cable landing station, as it relates to MONET, as agreed with the PNOC and MONET owners
* Direct the work activity of the CLS Tech in providing cable landing station services as agreed.
* Observe activities to assure compliance with government regulations
* Confer with MONET owners and Equinix senior management to agree station policy administrative procedures
* Act as First Level escalation point and handle faults related to the MONET network.
* Support, proactively manage, and monitor the Monet network as directed by the PNOC
* Analyse and diagnose complex networking problems, identify issues, and resolve faults in coordination with the PNOC and MONET owners.
* Liaise and task Equinix personnel to manage and clear both network and customer faults as required.
* Liaise with Equinix on-site building support personnel for matters relating to impacts/potential impacts to MONET as it relates to building security, power, and heating/cooling.
* Liaise with vendors when required to ensure efficient operation of the MONET network.
* Liaise with DHS or other agencies as required to ensure compliance with MONET regulatory obligations in matters such as site access, site visits, views of visitor logs, and preparation of reports
* Communicate with the MONET back up NOC and escalate where necessary both internally and externally in order to meet SLOs
* Activate new services as directed by the PNOC and MONET owners onto the network and ensure quality is maintained by testing and ensuring any network changes are recorded and logged into appropriate databases.
* Follow global work instructions as identified in the Monet JSMD procedures and ensure service quality.
* Maintain proper documentation and case history in service ticket database as required by the PNOC
* Manage onsite DCN setup and operation.
* Coordinate with cable repair vessel(s) during cable repair operations
* Coordinate with MONET Cable Landing Stations in Brazil during cable faults and coordinate for COTDR test along with the PNOC
* Reduce downtime on services by providing workarounds and alternatives.
* Be available on site during normal business hours and available on a call out basis at all other times as required in the Service Level Obligations.
* A college diploma in a related field of study, certification(s) from equipment vendors, and/or industry governing bodies is desired.
* Minimum 2-3 years of telecom experience in operation and maintenance of submarine cable systems as a Submarine Cable Landing Station technician or Station Manager
* Proven track record in operation and maintenance of a submarine cable system including system testing, fault finding, repairs and safety requirements
* Proven proficiency is required in PFE maintenance and operations including branch unit powering/reconfiguration
* Experience in operation and maintenance of SLTE. Experience with multiple vendors(TE Subcom, Alcatel, Ciena, Infinera, etc.) is a plus.
* Knowledge of submarine cable systems, DWDM systems, trouble ticketing system, and network management system.
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
* Team Leader, Team Player, Good Communicator, Flexible, Resourceful, Pro-Active, Multi-Tasking.
* Languages: Superb English written and verbal communications skills (Portuguese language is desirable)