IHC Technician/Technologist, 40 Hrs, TEMP, Elmwood Park, NJ
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/1/2016
END DATE 10/12/2016
Bio-Reference Laboratories, Inc.
Elmwood Park, NJ
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
The Clinical Laboratory Technician will perform all necessary laboratory testing in the detection,
diagnosis, and prognosis of disease. The Clinical Laboratory Technician will work collaboratively
with the laboratory team to provide testing services to the clients. Additional task can be assigned at
the discretion of the Supervisor/Manager/Director.
Duties may include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
1. Follows written lab procedures for the correct handling and processing of specimens. Performs
lab procedures of moderate and high complexity (if applicable) in accordance with standards set
forth in sectional laboratory procedures.
2. Maintains an up to date working knowledge of all technical procedures in the department and
operations of all instrumentation. Reviews all pertinent SOPMs. Manipulate and operate simple
and complex laboratory equipment including computers; may perform maintenance and limited
tear down and replacement of Parts of laboratory equipment; problem-solve equipment
3. Wears proper PPE while handling samples or controls.
4. Brings unusual situations to the attention of the supervisor. (May be specimens reporting
problems with the LIS).
5. Assists in the orientation and training of new employees. Participates in the training of technical
staff and monitors their progress with supervisor. Serves as a resource to peers and other
6. Maintains a .clean and well organized work area with adequate supplies. Assures that adequate
department supply levels are maintained. Orders supplies as necessary.
7. Performs quality control procedures established for each method and maintains accurate
records. Reviews and analyzes quality control data, identifies QC trends or problems, makes
judgments and takes appropriate corrective action. Prior to releasing any test results (if
8. Operates laboratory instruments and performs routine maintenance & procedural calibrations.
Diagnoses, troubleshoots and documents all lab instrument and / or reagent problems. Performs
preventative and corrective maintenance/repairs and maintains records of actions. Contacts
technical services representatives when necessary to resolve problems.
9. Performs and reports proficiency testing according to protocol.
10. Accurately reads and interprets the tests Records, transcribes, and maintains records of patient
test results according to protocol. (lf applicable)
11 . Reviews accuracy and completeness of results prior to releasing in the Laboratory Information
System (if applicable). Recognizes unexpected or unreasonable results and/or testing delays.
Identifies the cause and takes appropriate action. Applies professional knowledge and judgment
to analytical and decision making. Escalates all problems that can't be solved immediately to
the Lead Technologist and Supervisor.
12. FolIow protocols for acceptance/rejection of patient results (if applicable).
13. Locating and transporting specimens as per company standards and protocols.
14. Completes routine and STAT testing within acceptable turn-around time guidelines.
15. Reviews Pending Logs, researches and resolves missing specimen issues. If unable to resolve
issue, then the issue must be given to someone on the next shift to continue the process to
resolve. If no resolution can be found, the supervisor should be notified.
16. Participates in the evaluation and development of new procedures, methods and instruments.
17. Interpersonal and Communication Skills.
18. Ability to express ideas and report findings in a comprehensive and thorough manner. Answers
inquiries regarding methodology and special factors that can influence test results.
19. Interacts with co-workers in a way that promotes a harmonious and cooperative working
20. Develops and promotes a "patient first" attitude towards all internal and external associates of
21. Applies principles of confidentiality in all laboratory and patient matters.
22. Presents a professional appearance and manner.
23. Attends laboratory sponsored Continuing Education Programs when provided and/ or uses
Media Lab for Continuing Education credits to acquire the yearly CEU requirement.
24. Acknowledges how to maximize time and organization .. Otherwise will notify supervisor of any
overtime that will need to be required and before any OT has been occurred.
25. Must be able to remain calm and professional, even under stressful conditions.
26. May be required to adjust schedule, at the needs/demands of the company.
27. If position requires manual reading at a microscope, a prequalification test will be required.
28. If position r~quires manual reading at a microscope, the job may require more sit down time.
29. May perform special assignments or projects as assigned.
**IHC Technician/Technologist TEMP Schedule is Monday-Friday 11:30pm-8am
BioReference Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
1. Associates of Science degree in medical technology, chemistry, biology, or related life science and/or
meets CLlA personnel standard criteria.
2. State Licensure, where applicable
3. ASCP or other national certification preferred
4. Mathematical, computer, reasoning, and language skills at the college level (2 years)
5. One year of relevant work experience preferred.
I. Medium work of lifting up to 50 pounds and/or carrying objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
2. Responsible for lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling objects.
1. Work requires contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), biohazardous body fluids, and
2. Work is varied in nature with sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction and stress.
3. Work requires sitting, standing, and/or walking for periods of up to four hours.
4. Work requires close attention to detail and accuracy.
5. OSHA risk factor: Category 1