IT Project Manager (Chicago)
This position is for a Project/Program Manager in the IT Program and Portfolio Management Office. Responsibilities will include the following:
# Project Manager Responsibilities
* Owns overall responsibility for successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a project or program.
* Collaborate with IT leadership and project leads (IT and/or Business) to manage projects.
* Overall responsible for activity planning & sequencing, resource planning, developing and maintaining schedules, budget management, risk analysis and management, action item follow-up, status reporting, issue management, business partnering, working with vendors etc.
* Responsible for keeping the project data updated on a regular basis in internal MSI Project & Portfolio management tool & other project repositories. MSI internal tools training will be provided.
# Contractor On-boarding Responsibilities
* Assist with candidate selection and interviewing of contractors for new PM positions.
* On-board new contractors with tools, apps, PMO process and templates.
* Conduct routine contractor PM feedback.
Bachelors Degree is required
5+ years of IT Project Management experience
3+ years of experience in using both traditional Waterfall and Agile Project Management methodologies.
Technical Knowledge/Skills Required:
a. Should have strong analytic skills, Should be able to perceive and analyze problems, develop alternatives and recommend sound decisions.
b. Must have a combination of skills including an ability to ask penetrating questions, detect unstated assumptions and resolve conflicts, as well as more general management and team-player skills.
c. Proficient in Google Applications
- Google sheets, Docs, Slides, and Drive etc. Knowledge in Microsoft Excel and MS-Project.
d. We will be providing training in use of internal Motorola tools.
e. PMP certification, Certified SCRUM master and/or other project management certification is preferred.
f. Proven ability to demonstrate strong project management skills
- be able to drive & lead meetings independently, ability to create projects plans in MS Project, proactive risk/issues management is key, be able to independently maintain basic project documentation (Schedules, action, risks, issue tracker), drive follow-up on open actions, maintain compliance with company project management processes.
g. Proven competencies in using various Agile competencies in managing IT projects:
i) Prepare for and facilitate daily scrum meetings; sprint planning, review, and retrospective ceremonies; Experience as an IT project manager using both traditional waterfall and Agile methodologies is a must with an ability to blend them together based on current project requirements.
ii) Setup daily meetings; and planning sessions with technical team.
iii) Create, maintain, and organize backlog of features, epics, stories, and tasks.
iv) Provide input to release planning using team capacity and skill set information.
v) Compile, analyze, and present statistics about time estimation accuracy, team velocity, and burn-down rate to development team and management each sprint.
vi) Review and provide feedback on drafted user stories and epics to ensure alignment with general Agile user story standards.
vii) Be an advocate for the Agile and Scrum methodology.
viii) Be able to independently create and present status reports to IT and/or Business audience.
Non-Technical Knowledge/Skills Required:
h. Self motivated and ability to work independently
- Should be able to drive execution independently.
i. Very strong team player, should possess ability to foster teamwork and positive working environment to the project team in light of changes and challenges. Should have people skills to be able to work independently with different IT team members in different roles.
j. Ability to plan and organize work.
k. Strong aptitude to learn.
l. Recognize and deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information.
m. Strong written and oral communications skills, an eye for detail.
n. Strong collaboration & active listening skills. Ability to coach teams to resolve conflict, remove impediments, and meet output targets.
o. Ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding, and rapidly changing environment. Be able to multi-task as needed.
5 - 10
Bachelors Degree 5+ years of IT Project Management experience