IU Police Cadet (Students Only)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 2/2/2017
Indiana University-East - Richmond
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION INFORMATION
IU Police Cadet (Students Only)
IU EAST AT A GLANCE
Indiana University East, a regional campus of Indiana University, offers residents of eastern Indiana, western Ohio, and beyond a broad range of bachelor s degrees and selected master s degrees and certificates through its traditional main campus in Richmond, off-campus sites, and online program options. IU East values a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and intellectual perspectives among its faculty, staff, and students and in its contributions to the cultural and economic development of the communities it serves. Learn more about IU East.
The IU cadet program is a two year program. Cadets who successfully perform their duties and maintain academic standards for one academic school year will then be given all police training required of a law enforcement officer, including attendance in the IU Police Academy. This program has many benefits including receiving accreditation as a state certified law enforcement officer. Over 1,000 cadets have graduated from the program.
To read more information about the cadet program click here.
Note: To enter the Academy, eligibility requirements state cadet must be at least 21 years of age during calendar year.
IU Police Cadets perform non-law enforcement duties for Indiana University Police Department (IUPD) including radio dispatch duties, security assignments for buildings and events, and special assignments that necessitate the presence of IUPD but not the presence of a sworn Police Officer. Cadets liaise with other workers and are briefed on the situation and issues of the day; they keep the department and the other workers advised on situational developments as appropriate.
Cadets work closely with faculty, staff, students, and visitors, from diverse backgrounds. Cadets observe and report suspicious activity, can approach individuals and enforce university policy without compromising personal safety, and must call for sworn officer to detain or arrest. Cadets do not have police authority. Cadets who successfully perform their duties and maintain academic standards, as demonstrated by a GPA of 2.3, for one academic year, will then be given all police training required of a law enforcement officer of the State of Indiana, including attendance in the IU Police Academy. Upon graduation from the Academy, the cadet is then commissioned as a Police Officer.
* Current registration as an Indiana University student, with at least two years remaining in their academic studies, is required.
* GPA of 2.3 or above is required.
* Must be at least 21 years of age during calendar year of attending the Academy.
* Possess a valid driver s license with the ability to be insured by Indiana University.
* Ability to meet the standards for an oral interview, psychological examination and background investigation is required.
* Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
* Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to interact and communicate with others from diverse backgrounds and work in a team environment.
* Ability to work effectively and professionally in extremely adverse and stressful situations.
* Ability to discern suspicious situations.
* Possess basic knowledge of computers and word processing/email/database software systems.
Interested current Indiana University students need to submit a letter of interest and a resume via this Indiana University online application site. Please be prepared to provide three (3) professional references, if requested, during the hiring process. APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED THROUGH JANUARY 31ST, 2017.
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The salary for this position is $10.15 per hour. This position is not benefits eligible.
Public Safety/Law Enforcement/Security
POSTING DETAIL INFORMATION
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS SUMMARY
Indiana University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. This institution is also a provider of ADA services.
#Indiana University-East - Richmond