Infection Control Practitioner
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 2/25/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
SUMMARY: The Infection Control Practitioner is responsible for implementing and maintaining the multiple facets of the Infection Control Program of the Hospital. He/she is a liaison between all departments and the Infection Control Committee. This individual maintains a routine surveillance program of patients, personnel, and the environmental problems that present a real or potential threat to the welfare of patients, visitors, or personnel throughout the institution. Serves as Co-chair of the Infection Control Committee. Assures compliance with JCAHO and regulatory requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains a practical surveillance program which incorporates the systematic and current review of nosocomial infections using written, previously defined and approved criteria, significant communicable diseases, and environmental problems with known or suspect infectious potential. Prepares statistics and other reports as assigned.
2. Recognizes and investigates clusters of infections, exceeding endemic conditions.
3. Evaluates (at least annually) and documents the effectiveness of the Infection Control Plan. Develops & revises policies & procedures to meet current practice standards.
4. Assists in the development and/or implementation of improved infection control measures and the development and presentation of programs for orientation and continuing education relevant to infection prevention and control throughout the hospital, including product selection.
5. Communicates all pertinent information at timely intervals to the Director of Performance Improvement and Medical Director of Infection Control as appropriate. Communicates appropriate information to state and local Health Authorities as necessary. Maintains patient and physician confidentiality.
6. Coordinates with others for the investigation, identification, and follow-up of contacts exposed to communicable diseases. (This activity shall include the notification of and follow through with the Occupational Health Nurse when such contacts have involved Hospital personnel.)
7. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement.
8. Demonstrates ServicePRIDE Standards.
9. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred or BS in Medical Technology or Microbiology or Master's in Public Health.
Minimum of 3 - 5 years experience in Infection Control in an acute care setting is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Registered Nurse with a current Texas license (preferred), Medical Technologist or Microbiologist. Certification in Infection Control prefered.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
* Competent in Infection Control Practices including, Isolation Precautions, hospital surveillance and construction projects.
* Maintains current knowledge regarding all laws, regulatory and accreditation standards.
* Proficient with computer programs to complete job duties independently.
* Able to communicate in English with verbal and written skill.
* Participates in educational programs to enhance expertise.
* Able to complete all expectations of position with minimal supervision.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.