Infusion Nurse / Cancer Research
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/3/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONThis position is for an infusion nurse who administers intravenous cancer clinical trial agents to patients and provides their subsequent hands on care after such administration. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Assess and monitors therapy of patients using appropriate technical skills under the direction and supervision of a physician. o Administers chemotherapy, investigational agents, hydration and other medication under the direction and supervision of a physician. o Assesses patients for changes in condition, including but not limited to abnormal labs, x-rays, scans, drug reactions and initiates appropriate action. o Facilitates dose modification by assessing labs, consulting protocol or treatment plan, calculating dose, and consulting physician regarding dose modification, problems, and symptoms management.
* Coordinates patient care in compliance with specific research protocol requirements. Disburses investigational drug and provide patient teaching regarding administration. Maintains investigational drug accountability.
* In collaboration with the physician, reviews patients for changes in condition, adverse events, concomitant medication use, research protocol compliance, response to study drug, and thoroughly documents all findings.
* Responsible for accurate and timely data collection, documentation, entry, and reporting of research specific assessments.
* Identifies patient care requirements/needs by establishing personal rapport and providing education
* Communicates all pertinent information and any interventions to the physician or mid-level provider
* Assists physician or other providers with exams and procedures
* Promotes patient's independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions.
* Maintains efficient and appropriate patient flow.
* Demonstrates knowledge of reimbursement procedures and charge capture.
* Performs venipuncture, accesses implanted ports and maintains central venous access devices and alternative delivery systems
* Performs 12 lead ECG's
* Serves as a resource person to the medical assistants
* Works collaboratively with the nurse navigator in the care of the patient to schedule home health and/or hospice referrals
* Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
* Assures quality of care by adhering to therapeutic standards; measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards; making or recommending necessary adjustments; following established philosophies and standards of care set by state board of nursing, state nurse practice act, OSHA, and other governing agency regulations.
* Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information; responding to requests; building rapport; participating in team problem-solving methods Job Requirements Education and/or Experience:
* Graduate from an accredited program for professional nursing education, BSN preferred. Minimum of 3 years of nursing experience, including at least 1 year in oncology setting and infusion room experience, preferred. Current BCLS (Basic Cardiac and Life Support) certification required within 3 months of hire.
* Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a clinical or scientific related discipline or a minimum of 2 years clinical research experience required. An equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility, may be substituted for the education and experience requirements.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office including MS Word and Excel; MS Outlook and Internet Explorer