Inpatient Home Health Aide 8/11/2016
Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care
Santa Barbara, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY About us
Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care is the leading home health and hospice provider in the Santa Barbara area, meeting the changing healthcare needs of our community since 1908.
Our mission is to provide high quality home health, hospice and related services to promote the health and well-being of all community residents including those unable to pay. As we grow and enhance our services, we are looking for top-quality individuals to help continue our legacy of excellence and our commitment to the community.
We are currently offering exciting opportunities to become a part of our committed team of skilled professionals in beautiful Santa Barbara County.
Job Description Summary
The Inpatient Hospice Aide is a member of the Hospice Team who works under the supervisions of the Inpatient Registered Nurse to provide personal care and various services for patients at the end of life. The Inpatient Hospice Aide is responsible for carrying out the duties assigned in order to increase the patient's level of comfort and to maintain personal hygiene and a safe, healthy environment for the patient. The Inpatient Hospice Aide fully supports the Core Values and is accountable for upholding the Standards of Behavior of VNHC.
* Provide personal care as directed by the hospice nurse. Completes each patient's care as delineated in the Home Health Aide Care Plan.
* Provide environmental services as needed, maintain a safe and clean environment through care of the patient's room and personal equipment and perform light housekeeping duties.
* Provide nutritional services to patients as needed, setting up and assisting with meal trays, feeding patient, if necessary.
* Report to the hospice nurse or Serenity House Supervisor, any changes in the patient's physical or emotional condition, including complaints of pain, or the family's situation.
* Take temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure when ordered.
* Maintain record of daily activity and of direct care provided to the patient.
* Assist patient/family/caregiver in dealing with terminal care.
* As assigned and supervised by the hospice nurse, assist the patient with activities which include but are not limited to the following:
o Assist the patient with sponge, tub or shower bath, use of toilet or commode, grooming and washing hair, mouth care, skin and fingernails (does not clip toenails).
o Assist with toileting, encouraging bowel and bladder regularity as long as possible.
o Turns and positions patients, providing proper care and observations of patient's skin to prevent breakdown of tissue over bony prominence.
o Follow universal precautions in delivering patient care.
o Maintain comfortable environment by adjusting lighting, room temperature, changing bed linens as needed. Is alert to safety factors and accident prevention.
o Assists in ambulation and range of motion exercises as instructed by nurses.
o Performs post mortem care.
o Provides therapeutic touch/complimentary therapeutics per patient's request.
o Has awareness of emotional status of the patient and/or family and is able to understand the emotional problems associated with the terminal illness. Confers with the psychosocial staff as needed.
o Participate in interdisciplinary group meetings, in-services and skills training to ensure compliance with CHAP and CLHF regulations.
1. One year experience in hospital or nursing home setting.
2. Completion of recognized Certified Home Health Assistant training program with current license.
3. Current CPR certification.
4. At least eighteen years of age and is a high school graduate or equivalent.
5. Ability to read and follow written instructions and document care given.
6. Utilizes proper ergonomics and body mechanic techniques.
7. Displays initiative and able to work with minimal direct supervision.
8. Has empathy for the needs of the ill, frail and impaired. Understands philosophy of hospice care and needs of the terminally ill.
9. Demonstrates tact, patience and good personal hygiene.
10. Reliable transportation.
11. Basic working knowledge and skills of computers (evaluation requirement).