Intern, Sensory Lab (Summer 2017)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/9/2016
END DATE 10/22/2016
The J. M. Smucker Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY For more than 115 years, The J. M. Smucker Company has been committed to offering consumers quality products that bring families together to share memorable meals and moments. Today, Smucker is a leading marketer and manufacturer of consumer food and beverage products and pet food and pet snacks in North America with annual net sales of approximately $8 billion. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker's(R), Folgers(R), Jif(R), Dunkin' Donuts(R), Crisco(R), Pillsbury(R), R.W. Knudsen Family(R), Hungry Jack(R), Café Bustelo(R), Martha White(R), truRoots(R), Sahale Snacks(R), Robin Hood(R), and Bick's(R). In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Meow Mix(R), Milk- Bone(R), Kibbles 'n Bits(R), Natural Balance(R), and 9Lives(R). The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about the Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
Sensory Lab Intern
Orrville, OH (Greater Akron area)
We offer the benefit of intern housing assistance, for those that qualify based on proximity, to ensure interns have a positive experience and are financially able to afford living for the length of the internship.
Monday through Friday 8:00am 5:00pm
*At times may also work 1 day per week 9:30am-6:30 pm (early evening panels)
PRIMARY INTERNAL CUSTOMERS
Research & Development
Primary Objective of the Role
Provide sensory evaluation experience to an individual studying within a Food Science, Nutritional Science or related science field. Enhance the individual s food product sensory knowledge base. Includes the following:
* Ability to read sensory protocol and prepare panel executions
* Prepare materials and supplies as indicated per the protocol
* Maintain thorough lab records with instructions, protocols and panel execution results
* Maintain cleaned and organized laboratory work environment including supplies inventory and maintenance
* Attention to food safety
* Ability to work independently
* Management of an individual sensory project requiring a presentation at the end of the internship
* Routine sensory panel testing of finished goods with both internal employees and external panelists(includes adults and children)
* Laboratory project support (assisting Sensory staff with setting up taste panels, running panels, etc.)
* General laboratory upkeep
* Working toward a Bachelor s degree in Food Science, Nutritional Science, or related science field required
* GPA of 3.0 or higher
* Familiar with sensory evaluation/lab research testing protocol is a plus
* Strong Food Science background
* General interest in understanding how sensory science plays a role in Research & Development
* Good computer knowledge and skills
* Highly adaptable and flexible to a dynamic environment
* Strong organizational and time management skills
* Attention to detail
* Strong communication skills
* Self-motivated, high energy level
* General laboratory experience
The J. M. Smucker Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.