Interpreter II - Per Diem Korean 9/8/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: Assists and enables Clinical Staff to better meet the needs of non-English speaking patients and employees. Serves as interpreter between providers and patients. Interprets during procedures. Relays patient-provider communications that require interpretation by phone, voicemail, pager and/or letter. Ensures timely turnaround of patient-provider communications. Identifies problematic situations such as breakdowns in communication or incomplete information and recommends appropriate solutions before problems arise.
* Delivers high quality service to patients, providers and non-English speaking medical center employees. Responds to individuals and departments in a timely manner and demonstrates a team approach.
* Explains cultural differences, practices and beliefs to healthcare providers and patients when appropriate.
* Relays patient-provider communications requiring interpretation by phone, voicemail, pager and/or letter. Provides assistance, as needed, with patient registration, reminder and cancellation calls, provider calls and other communications as requested.
* Interprets and acts according to Massachusetts Interpreters Association (MMIA) Code of Ethics for Medical Interpreters and the MMIA Standards of Practice.
* Maintains and improves expertise through appropriate continuing education. Participates in training and information sessions as available and as directed by manager.
* High School diploma or GED required .
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Satisfactory fluency in English and target language(s) at a level that ensures accurate and understandable interpretation. Satisfactory proficiency in medical terminology (i.e., basic anatomy, physiology and diagnostic procedures and treatments) at a level that ensures accurate interpretation.
* Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills. Tact, poise and sensitivity in eliciting and presenting facts and ideas and ability to inspire professional respect and trust in dealing with complex, sensitive and emotional issues. Ability to exercise discretion and maintain patient and employee confidentiality.
* Demonstrated knowledge of cultural aspects of patient care in American and target culture as well as excellent cross-cultural skills to provide satisfactory interface between cultures and provide varying levels of sophistication between patient and provider.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Medical interpreter training strongly preferred.
* 1-3 years related work experience.
* National Certification strongly preferred.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Korean preferred Language -- Medical Interpreter - Per Diem. Job requirements as listed in Job Description. Fluency in Korean and English required. Formal medical interpreter training and/or certification strongly preferred.
Interpreters abide by a set of Standards of Practice and are trained in medical terminology. BIDMC interpreters are committed to maintaining and improving their skills through various professional development opportunities within the medical interpreting profession and in the medical center itself. The art of medical interpretation requires an understanding of anatomy and physiology, linguistic competency, and interpersonal skills. The department collaborates with the BIDMC Ethics Support Service and many other clinics to address, in depth, the complexities that arise as part of the work. Interpreters respect patient confidentiality, are committed to providing the best in patient care in the all clinical environments including outpatient, inpatient, Emergency, and procedural areas, and work closely with the medical teams with the goal of maintaining patient safety.
Hours are no set schedule with availability required Monday to Friday during day shift hours.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf