This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/12/2016
END DATE 10/11/2016
Piedmont Steel Company
Winston Salem, NC
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe employee will perform any combination of the following duties on construction projects to
raise, place and unite girders, columns and other structural steel members by bolting or welding
to form completed structures or structure frameworks; while working as a member of a crew.
Activities include but are not limited to:
* Setting up crane for raising and placing structural steel members
* Installing rigging from the steel members to the hook of the crane, sling chain, cable or rope.
* Signaling worker operating crane to lift and place steel member.
* Guiding members by using tag line (rope) or by hands from a ladder, on a beam, or a
mechanical lift in order to guide it into position.
* Pulling or pushing steel members into approximate position while member is supported by a
* Forcing members into final position, using spud wrenches, bull pins, drift pins and other hand
* Aligning bolt holes in member with corresponding holes in previously member by driving drift
pins or handle of a spud wrench through holes.
* Verifying vertical and horizontal alignment of members, using plumb bob, hand level, laser
plumb level or a surveying transit.
* Bolting aligned members to keep them in position until they can be permanently bolted or
welded in place.
* Welding steel members to make alterations, using the proper welding equipment.
* May specialize in erecting or working on specific types of structures.
* Work is performed with other workers on a steel erection
NOTE--MUST BE ABLE TO MEET THE FOLLOWING IN ORDER TO APPLY:
Physical demands of this position include lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally; 40-50 pounds
frequently along with frequent climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling,
reaching and handling, and occasional fingering and feeling. Employee must have the ability to
work comfortably at heights above 15 feet, work outdoors and travel as needed.
75% travel is required with a starting pay up to $14 with no prior experience, plus travel and per