LAB - Medical Lab Technologist - 36 hrs/wk.
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 10/21/2016
Blanchard Valley Health System
JOB DESCRIPTIONPURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The purpose of a Medical Technologist is to obtain specimens for laboratory testing, performs laboratory tests on various instruments and consisting of hematological, blood banking, chemical, microscopic, or microbiology examinations. Sets up laboratory instruments; performs and assesses quality control studies; maintains and repairs laboratory instruments. Shows ability to work with a minimum of supervision. Demonstrates good judgement in reviewing test results. Uses good technique consistently.
* Duty 1: Organizes department. Develops orientation protocol. Orients and teaches students as necessary. Regularly demonstrates a thorough knowledge of current job duties. Keeps aware of new techniques in the field by reading and attending meetings. Participates actively in laboratory staff meetings. Keeps abreast of posted information from memos, minutes of meetings and department communication logs.
* Duty 2: Uses customer s name and smiles when communicating. Is timely in response to customers needs. Communication reflects BVHA script, (please refer to winning phrases in the handbook) and culture of Service Excellence. Practices effective communication skills, i.e. listening, phone skills, etc. Performance reflects relationship to BVHA mission and values. Maintains clean, neat, professional appearance, i.e. wears ID badge, and complies with department dress code.
* Duty 3: Obtains blood specimens using correct technique, labels legibly and completely. Properly processes laboratory requisitions and specimens. Insures that adequate supplies are available for assigned departments. Keeps work area clean and neat. Makes sure area is disinfected regularly
* Duty 4: Performs routine daily set-up and maintenance procedures on laboratory equipment. Records all data in proper place, evaluates and repairs if data is outside specifications. Informs Coordinator or Laboratory Director of any malfunctioning laboratory equipment or reagents. Troubleshoots, repairs, or calls repair person when necessary. Performs with a minimum of errors. Works neatly and with accuracy regardless of volume of work. Helps Coordinator evaluate and set up new laboratory procedures or instruments.
* Duty 5: Completed assignments reflect an average rating or better for quality of work. Shows willingness to assist other laboratory personnel as time permits. Works at a suitable pace. Can adjust as workload increases. Maintains organization of area in spite of frequent interruptions.
* Duty 6: Maintains quality control records. Assesses quality control results to ensure good test results are reported. Follows proper procedure when found to be in an out-of-control situation. Demonstrates good understanding of Quality Control. Makes sure to communicate to other personnel any quality control or instrument problem, especially between shifts. Reviews quality control data to ensure good quality of work is being maintained. Correctly monitors and evaluates quality control information.
* Duty 7: Properly records results on report forms including date and initials. Shows good judgment in determining accuracy of reported laboratory results. Consistently reviews other pertinent laboratory data to better assess abnormal test results.
* Duty 8: Shows good organizational skills to ensure the patient s results are available in a timely manner. Prioritizes correctly to ensure that most important work is completed first. Plans for the effective insertion of STATS into a busy schedule. Uses systematic approach to all areas of work.
* Duty 9: Interacts well with patients. Interacts well with physicians. Cooperates with other professionals both inside and outside the lab. Consistently maintains a cheerful professional manner. Makes suggestions in a positive, tactful manner.
* Duty 10: This position is classified at risk for possible occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens (HBV, HCV, HIV, etc.). Individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on his/her assigned unit/department. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient s requirements relative to their age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the area s policies and procedures.
* Duty 11: Is punctual and is present when scheduled. Adheres to attendance policy please document absences, occurrences and tardiness
* MLS(ASCP) registration or equivalent certification
* Graduate from a NAACLS approved clinical laboratory scientist educational program with clinical experience and coursework necessary to take MLS(ASCP) registry exam and board eligible( if not already registered)
* Applicant must become registered as an MLS (ASCP) within 12 months of hire date.
* Member of a professional organization preferred.
* Knowledge of computers, telephone operations and other office equipment.
* Individual must be customer focused, service oriented and be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form.
* Individual must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
* Individual must be organized, able to prioritize, work in a fast pace environment and have excellent problem solving skills.
* Positive service-oriented interpersonal and communication skills required along with a demonstration of leadership.
* The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served.
* The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development and interpret this information over the life span.
* The associate must complete all the mandatory learning experiences for the specific job along with assigned lab competency requirements and provide documentation of completion.
* The associate must demonstrate sufficient computer skills and literacy to carry out the duties of this position.
* Associate must work within, and behave consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
This position requires a full range of body motion with intermittent walking, lifting, bending, climbing, squatting, kneeling, twisting, sitting and standing. This individual will be required to sit four hours, also stand/walk up to five hours per day. The individual must be able to lift twenty to fifty pounds and reach work above the shoulders. The associate must be able to use foot controls and have the ability to distinguish colors. Individual must have excellent verbal communication skills to perform daily tasks. This position requires corrected vision and hearing in the normal range. The associate must be able to work at a high rate of speed.
This position is classified at risk for possible occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens (HBV, HIV, etc.)