LAB - Phlebotomist 36 hrs/wk.
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
Performs the day-to-day phlebotomy duties in accordance with current federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations and as may be directed by the Laboratory Director.
* Duty 1: Is well organized and uses systematic approach to all areas of work while courteously and informatively receiving the patients. Continues with this organized and systematic process even during the busy periods. Follows instructions with little or no follow-up supervision.
* Duty 2: Consistently obtains the proper specimens, verifies patient s identity by name and date of birth, and properly labels specimens. Understands importance of quality specimen integrity and its direct effects on the quality of tests results and patient care. Where Applicable, and with appropriate training, accurately perform EKGs.
* Duty 3: Uses good judgment when procuring specimens from difficult patients or unusual circumstances as well as when handling unusual requests for laboratory requests. Documents in computer system any deviation from standard procedure.
* Duty 4: Correctly prioritizes the collection and delivery of stats, urgents, timed orders, and routine orders to the laboratory. Correctly prioritizes the collection of nursing home specimens.
* Duty 5: Properly maintains and obtains phlebotomy items for blood collection on their phlebotomy tray and/ or outpatient laboratory. Understands the need for neatness.
* Duty 6: Correctly monitors and uses computer system by monitoring collection batches, outstanding specimen reports, enter/edit requisitions routine and removal and monitoring labels on printers in lab office. Also monitors timed orders board.
* Duty 7: Understands importance of professionalism of the phlebotomist and need to exemplify a positive attitude as laboratory s public relations provider. Understands patient s confidentiality rights.
* Duty 8: Communication and actions with customers reflect BVHA scripting and Service Excellence attributes meeting customer s needs in timely manner, proper phone skills, and listening skills. Interacts well with patients. Interacts well with physicians and other professionals both inside and outside the lab. Properly instructs outpatients on specimen collection.
* Duty 9: Understands that they must demonstrate knowledge and skills to provide appropriate care relative to the age specific needs of the patient. Understands that they must comply with all organizational and safety policies, practices and procedures of BVHA.
* Duty 10: Is punctual and is present when scheduled. Adheres to attendance policy please document absences, occurrences and tardiness.
* Applicant must have a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
* Knowledge of clinical or anatomical laboratory functions, medical terminology or science background
* A valid driver's license is required (if you do not have a valid Ohio driver s license you must obtain one within one year of your residency in the state) and you must also meet BVHS's company fleet policy requirements.
* Ability to provide own transportation while on duty required.
* Positive service-oriented interpersonal and communication skills required.
* Individual must be organized, able to prioritize, work in a fast pace environment and have excellent problem solving skills.
* Individual must be customer focused, serviced oriented and be able to communicate effectively both orally and in written form.
* Individual must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
* Individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on his/her assigned unit/department. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient status
* Associate s degree in an Allied Health field preferred
* Experience preferred and PBT (ASCP) registration preferred
* Completion of a regionally accredited phlebotomy certificate program preferred
This position requires a full range of body motion with intermittent walking, lifting, bending, climbing, squatting, kneeling, twisting, sitting and standing. The associate will be required to walk, bend, and stand up to seven hours a day. The individual must be able to lift twenty to fifty pounds and reach work above the shoulders. This associate must have excellent eye-hand coordination, finger dexterity and the ability to grasp different items. The associate must be able to visualize patient veins and hear audible alarms. This position requires the associate to work at a high rate of speed. Must be able to drive from various locations.
This position is classified at risk for possible occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens (HBV, HIV, etc.)