LEAN EHR Specialist - Ambulatory PEAK Initiative (CLIN APPLICATIONS PROFL 3) 9/2/2016
University of California - San Francisco Medical Centers
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title
LEAN EHR Specialist - Ambulatory PEAK Initiative (CLIN APPLICATIONS PROFL 3)
Finance & I.T.
40 ; 100%
Ambulatory PEAK Initiative
This classification is not represented by a union
Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
Clinical Systems is responsible for all aspects of the Electronic Health Record (APeX- Advancing Patient-Centered Excellence) for UCSF hospitals, practices, affiliates and community partners. This includes maintenance, upgrades, optimization, projects and training. The APeX-PEAK LEAN Specialist will work in collaboration with the LEAN and APeX application teams, clinical/business operations and LEAN Specialists to develop and disseminate findings and best practices on ambulatory workflows in order to improve practice efficiency and enhance patient care. The APeX-PEAK Lean Specialist is responsible for using basic Lean knowledge and skills, and clinical experience to help develop a clear understanding of key processes, business issues and operational challenges facing the organization as a whole, as well as individual departments within value streams. The position requires excellent customer service to end users, tracks issues and follows-up as appropriate. This position will work in multiple locations including UCSF Medical Center locations, Benioff Children s Hospitals-Oakland and San Francisco, UCSF campus, and community connect partners.
Applies skills as a seasoned clinical applications professional to projects of medium size at all levels of complexity, or portions of large projects.
* Epic certification required within 6 months of start date
* Bachelor's degree in health care information technology, computer science, or related area, and / or equivalent combination of experience / training
* Broad and / or in-depth knowledge of 1-2 areas of focus in clinical applications specialty area(s). Knowledge of systems and functions, including design, development, implementation, user support and training, maintenance, quality assurance, and system testing and evaluation
* Strong problem-resolution skills, with the ability to quickly diagnose problems, and develop, test, and implement appropriate and effective solutions in a timely manner
* Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively, train, support, and work collaboratively with users of clinical information systems at all professional and technical levels
* Detail oriented, with proven organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, and see projects through to completion on deadline
* Strong written and verbal communications skills, with the ability to convey technical information and instructions to all levels of clinical applications users in a specific, clear, and concise manner
* Strong analytical skills and knowledge in documentation and reporting, with the ability to design and execute tests, analyze system performance data, and produce substantive reports and analyses
* Ability to work with senior staff and managers, serving as a technical resource and providing advice and counsel on issues of functionality, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, policy, and performance
* The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations
* Lean expertise in healthcare or other relevant setting highly preferred
* Knowledge of and experience using Lean tools and concepts, such as:
* PDSA and other structured problem solving tools
* A3 thinking
* Daily Problem Solving at the front line
* Waste, 5S and Standard Work
* Ambulatory operational experience preferable at a medical academic institution
* Clinical license such as RN, NP, PA preferred for some positions
* Epic certification required within 6 months of start date
Living Pride Standards
* Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
* Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
* Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
* Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
* Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
* Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
* Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
* Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
* Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
* Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San