This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/12/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
University of California - Los Angeles Medical Centers
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Title:
Laboratory Asst I
$15.11 / $2629
$17.49 / $3043
Layoff Referral Deadline:
A. PERFORM A VARIETY OF ANIMAL EXPERIMENTATIONS, INCLUDING:
1. Breed mice, tail or ear cut, DNA isolation and genotyping of progeny.
2. Clinical scoring of mice with disease and care for EAE health related issues.
3. Assist survival mouse surgeries, including ovariectomies and castrations, and monitor post-op mice
4. Assist tissue collection for brain, kidneys, liver, spleen, lymphnodes and spinal cord.
5. Assist embedding and cryostat sectioning on CNS tissues.
6. Rotarod behavioral testing of mice with disease.
7. Perform pathology analysis and take images.
B. DATA MANAGEMENT
1. Assist data collection and entry using Mac with excel.
2. Update mouse colony database and survival surgery records.
C. LABORATORY MAINTENANCE
1. Make frequest-use reagents (ex: TBE, PBS, TBS, nanopure water, 70% ethanol, others as needed)
2. Wash dishes, autoclave tools and tips
3. Dispose animal pathology waste, biohazardous waste, hazardous chemical, waste, and shapes waste, as following EH&S regulation
4. Maintain animal inventory by analyzing current and future requirements.
5. Monitor laboratory animals. Conform to Federal and University regulations as regards animal use.
6. Assist laboratory supplies and equipment ordering as needed following established University and Departmental regulations, including necessary administrative support of the ordering process.
7. Assist Departmental and University staff in the tracking and inventorying of laboratory equipment and expenses as needed.
limited-may become career
Psychobiology Major with junior standing preferred
Demonstrated ability to work with and check breeding of small rodents (mice and rats)
Demonstrated ability to perform molecular analysis (PCR) on rodent cells
Ability to breed and screen knock out mice for gene rearrangements
Ability to score and care for mice with EAE
Ability to carry out survival surgeries, including castration and ovariectomy.
Ability to collect tissues from adult mice and harvesting CNS tissues.
Ability to understand and record mouse behavior.
Ability to tabulate results accurately and present them verbally in a comprehensive presentation to the supervisor
Oral and written communication skills to provide information, and update of progress assigments
Mac skills and Word and database software programs
Ability to learn new software programs and laboratory techniques as needed
Knowledge of standard laboratory equipment, supplies, and animals to maintain inventory and stock.
Working knowledge of PCR, and gel apparatus
Demonstrated experience with drug administration and tissue recovery
Familiarity with multiple sclerosis models in rodents
Knowledge of University purchasing procedures and regulations
Possess excellent verbal and written English skills