Lab Services Center Representative
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/26/2016
END DATE 10/13/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
Accurately registers patients for lab services using a computerized registration system including inputs and extracts of data while following established procedures as set forth by Medicare and other regulatory agencies. Accurately performs phlebotomy and other specimen collection procedures as well as labels, processes, organizes, and transports specimens for laboratory testing. Interacts with all levels of staff and management, physicians, patients and families to obtain information, properly register and provide phlebotomy services. Uses independent judgment and experience to accommodate each internal and external customer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Demonstrates knowledge and competency using the information system to accurately register patients as indicated on the requisition. Demonstrates competency in choosing the correct patient account and distinguishes institutional accounts from regular patient accounts. Obtains and inputs demographic and insurance information for all patients registered. Uses appropriate registration types and diagnosis codes. Identifies and assigns correct medical record numbers. Indicates all unique insurance information, financial requirements and payments, if applicable.
* Uses the information system to thoroughly and accurately order tests as indicated on the requisition including footnotes, comments, order priorities, physician names, patient location, collection information, etc. Demonstrates a working knowledge of specimen s requirements for testing such as serum, plasma or whole blood, tissue and body fluids.
* Maintains all faxed and standing orders and requests physician orders when needed. Scans all of the patient requisitions into the imaging system. Effectively uses downtime procedures when the Laboratory Information System or HIS is unavailable so that patient services are not interrupted. Maintains thorough and complete documentation of work performed. Places Tech ID on all requisitions or lab orders handled. Files requisitions, reports and other pathology materials.
4)Performs phlebotomy and other specimen collection and labeling procedures. Processes specimens according to procedure for samples tested on-site as well as at samples forwarded to referral laboratories. Stat samples are handled expeditiously. Labels all aliquots and/or slides/blocks carefully and stores processed specimens at proper temperature.
5)Performs limited testing, equipment maintenance and/or quality control under supervision. Keep work area neat, clean and well stocked.
6)Ensures specimens are transported to the laboratory and other designated sites for testing purposes.
7)Answers the telephone and handle inquiries (e.g. provision of results by fax) by physicians offices and laboratories. Phones are answered promptly using clear speech, good listening skills and professional language. Utilizes readback guidelines when taking verbal orders. Communicates clearly and professionally with patients, nurses, physicians, visitors, and coworkers in a courteous, friendly, and helpful manner.
8)Recognizes problem occurrences, identifies causes, and takes corrective action to solve basic problems. Consults Tech-in-Charge, Manager, or Director if no present criteria are available. Readily implements new and revised procedures.
* Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
* Demonstrates Customer Service standards (e.g. smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
* Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
* Performs other duties as assigned. Utilizes spare time to seek out and complete extra tasks
High school diploma or G.E.D required.
Previous data entry experience required
Phlebotomy experience is required minimum 1 yr in an acute care hospital or outpatient setting.
CERTIFICATE, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Good communication skills and interpersonal skills required
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.