This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/27/2016
END DATE 11/4/2016
Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp.
North Charleston, SC
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Purpose
KapStone Charleston Kraft is seeking Laborers to fill our Labor Pool at our pulp and paper mill in North Charleston, SC. Our goal is to place dynamic and driven individuals into our business to support our organization that are dedicated to safety, quality and productivity. A successful laborer will perform various manual duties while learning the company processes and procedures in order to be a source of trained talent to maintain an effective workforce. Skills and procedural knowledge are gained through filling in for absences in the mill's various departments, KapStone's computer based learning system, and hands on training.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
This list identifies the essential functions. As with all jobs, all duties and responsibilities are not listed, and will vary based upon the department, team, and business needs.
* Learn and follow all Company and work area safety procedures and practices. Responsible for personal work safety and the safety of other employees in the assigned work area.
* Follow 5S guidelines on a daily basis to promote safety, cleanliness, and efficiency within the department.
* Support all mill operations by thoroughly cleaning all equipment, work surfaces and work areas in conjunction with the use of hazardous materials/chemicals and high pressure hoses. Recognize, restock and transport supplies/materials as needed.
* Operate heavy machinery such as forklifts and kalamazoos.
* Utilize lawn equipment for miscellaneous landscaping work.
* Perform job duties that require physical exertion in a heavy industrial environment (standing, reaching, climbing to significant heights, twisting, exposure to extreme temperatures/weather conditions) while wearing protective safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, hard hats, Tyvek suits and other job-specific PPE.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Must complete the following Work Keys tests with a score of 4 or higher to be considered for the position:
* Applied Math, Locating Information, Reading for Information, Observation, & Performance Assessment.
* High School Diploma or GED is required
* Minimum of 1 year of industrial/manufacturing or labor intensive work is required.
* Experience as an operator, mechanic, electrician, or similar trade craft is preferred but not required
* Demonstrate a strong safety mindset
* Understand instructions and communicate information clearly to co-workers and supervisor
* Good hand-eye coordination is required to perform routine job tasks
* Demonstrate an ability to be flexible in both attitude and changing work assignments.
* Work overtime when required even on short notice
* Shift work is required
* Be willing to work in all areas in the mill as needed
* Follow instructions and perform tasks and duties under direct and indirect supervision, using well-defined policies and procedures
* Current driver's license and acceptable driving record is required to operate mobile equipment.
* Show initiative by having a willingness to take on new responsibilities and challenges
* Possess the ability to work alone or as part of a team
* Possess some mechanical skills to troubleshoot problems
Mental and Physical Requirements
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This position requires regular climbing, balancing, crouching, stooping, reaching, crawling, standing, kneeling, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, repetitive motions, and driving. Work is performed in a mill manufacturing environment.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary based on assignment or group.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled