Lead Surgical Technician
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 12/16/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
JOB SUMMARY: The Lead Surgical Tech working in the Main OR serves as a clinical resource for Surgical Tech staff handling neurology cases. Creates an environment for the delivery of safe patient care and assists others in developing their skills and knowledge. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. Records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Lead Surgical Technologist is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship centered care in concert with the Houston Methodist Values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs the duties and responsibilities of preceptor and clinical resource to Surgical Tech staff in order to provide optimal patient care. Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and following up by coaching and critiquing colleagues thought processes in complex situations. Provides structured feedback with examples and guides action/development plans for colleagues.
2. Participates in the selection, training, education, development and evaluation of the Surgical Tech team. Participates in staff evaluations by providing information regarding clinical skills, knowledge base and interpersonal skills.
3. Demonstrates critical thinking, creativity and versatility in handling complex situations and problem solving. Calmly manages the most complex clinical and interpersonal situations. Recognizes when to utilize additional resources.
4. Serves on department and hospital committees, such as Shared Governance and Service Team Lead committee.
5. Partners with hospital Education. Identifies education needs and develops PI/education plans in partnership with unit and hospital based education specialists.
6. Gathers all instruments and supplies for each assigned procedure and ensures the set-up and equipment is ready before surgeon scrubs.
7. Employs mastery knowledge and experience of surgical technician role in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to: orthopedics, gynecology/obstetrics, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, oral/maxillofacial, CV, Neuro, Spine and minimally invasive procedures.
8. Responsible for consistently demonstrating knowledge of instrument sets and proficient in the knowledge of surgical supplies. Works closely with Sterile Processing and makes recommendations on instrument sets, supplies and equipment.
9. Consistently performs appropriate skills of sterile technique.
10. Participates in the duties of decontamination and use of autoclave equipment. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment, and supplies following surgery.
11. Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle and other surgical counts.
12. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff to support patient during procedures.
13. Maintains and accurately processes and updates surgeon preference cards.
14. Participants in restocking of supplies. Monitors and orders supplies to maintain par level.
15. Organizes the work flow, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
16. Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence).
17. Demonstrates the Service Pride standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go to above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
18. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Must have a high school diploma or GED. Requires the successful completion of an accredited OR Technician program.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Must have a minimum of three years of experience as a Surgical Technologist; five years is preferred. Experience in the role of service team leader or preceptor is required. Supervisory or leadership experience is strongly preferred. Must have mastered three of more of the listed service lines: Robotics, gyn, ortho, general, neurology, CV or urology. Experience with cardiovascular cases is highly desired.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: Must be certified by the Surgical Technologist Association or meet the grandfather clause.
Grandfather clause: The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement.
American Heart Association BLS is required.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: Must have the ability to lead and motivate others; must pass and demonstrate skills and competency upon clinical orientation to the unit; and must be able to write and speak effectively in English. Knowledge of medical terminology is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.