Legal Contract Specialist
The Associate Legal Specialist, North America Legal, provides legal support and assistance to attorneys and clients on variety of legal matters related to marketed drugs/devices and investigational drugs/devices. The Associate Legal Specialist will report to Legal Counsel in the Legal Department and will be responsible for the negotiation, analysis and administration of a wide range of agreements. The Associate Legal Specialist will also be responsible to assist with a variety of administrative tasks including but not limited to keeping schedules, completing expense reports and other general administrative duties.
* Drafting and negotiating various agreements.
* Demonstration of an understanding of legal contract concepts, negotiation strategies, efficient administration and automation of contract processes.
* Working closely with attorneys in the Legal Department.
* Keeping up to date on current laws and regulations.
* Implements contract negotiations processes by preparing first drafts of a variety of contracts.
* Conducts moderately complex contract drafting and negotiations.
* Evaluates the terms and conditions of a variety of contracts (e.g., service, confidentiality, consulting, research).
* Interfaces with internal management and external parties to gather specifications, and terms of agreement necessary for contract drafting and negotiations.
* Responsible for entire negotiations processes for one or more types of contracts.
* Communicates company contract policies and requirements to internalmanagers and employees and highlights areas of concern in regards to individual contracts projects.
* Determines and initiates required follow-up and/or additional analyses.
* Assists in maintaining contract database information.
* May review and summarize existing contracts internally and/or as part of an external diligence process
* Assist with and / or handle client training presentations with respect to company policy, compliance policies, privacy, contract approval processes, etc.
* Keep apprised of issues relevant to pharmaceutical industry and accurately relay this information to clients.
* Work with client groups, third parties and outside counsel to identify, assess and address general legal concerns.
* Demonstrate company values on a consistent basis.
* Prioritize competing projects and set expectations with clients and management.
* Ability to work on teams.
* Perform related duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
* Trained paralegal with 1-3 plus years of experience in-house corporate legal department, law firm, or governmental agency (healthcare background preferred.
* Experience handling a wide variety of contracts, preferably in the pharmaceutical/medical device industry
* Experience working directly with sophisticated clients, meeting business deadlines, and prioritizing competing projects
* Working knowledge of contract law
* Working knowledge of healthcare laws affecting pharmaceutical business including federal anti-kickback statute, federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic act, the federal Physician Sunshine Act, and federal and state privacy laws
* Familiarity with healthcare compliance principles and programs.
* Ability to exercise independent thought and judgment in advising clients and making decisions within area of responsibility.
* Ability to communicate complex legal information to individuals at various levels of the organization.
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to negotiate effectively with internal clients, third parties and outside counsel and foster collaboration and compromise within legal parameters.
* Strong analytical, problem solving, interpersonal and organizational skills.
* Ability to weigh pros and cons of a particular position and exercise judgment in determining when it is necessary to seek direction from in house counsel in order to make a decision.
* Maintain the highest ethical standards and respects confidentiality of sensitive matter.
* Proactive, self-motivated and results oriented with the ability to accomplish tasks / objectives independently, reliably and in a professional and timely manner.
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision on multiple tasks and provide a high quality work product, with excellent attention to detail under tight deadlines.
* Ability to read and understand corporate policies, statutes and government regulations.
* Ability to work on teams
* Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
EDUCATION: A bachelor's degree or Paralegal Certification with 3-5 years' experience in the contract management field.