Linux Systems Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/19/2016
END DATE 3/4/2017
Overland Park, KS
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Linux Systems Engineer will be responsible for the administration of the Netsmart Cloud hosting environments, and will work with the Lead systems engineer to implement, plan and support all client hosted systems. In addition the engineer will work with the Lead Systems Engineer and architecture team to design new solutions that meet the needs of Netsmart and our clients.
The Linux Systems Engineer role is responsible for maintaining the security and integrity of the Netsmart Cloud environment, including following all departmental security policies, procedures, and guidelines, implemented for the protection of HIPAA protected client data and to meet ISO 27000 series audit standards. All staff members are subject to comprehensive background checks, according to Netsmart s company policy, to ensure contractual compliance with Netsmart customer contracts and security policies. In the Systems Engineer role, documentation is a critical piece as it forms the foundation for proper support, lower case loads, fewer mistakes, and satisfied clients. Internal documentation, as assigned by departmental management or team leaders, must be completed in accordance with departmental guidelines or managerial direction. Internal Documentation includes: Salesforce case documentation, knowledgebase articles, client correspondence, application guides, and other written communications.
Netsmart is a unique organization and as such while the focus of this role will be providing Linux guidance and support, experience on a variety of platforms is a must and prior Windows administration experience and VMWare experience is preferred. Knowledge and experience in other areas will help the potential candidate excel in our fast paced environment with ever changing needs.
* Works with Lead Systems Engineer and architecture team to design and build stable, scalable, and flexible solutions based on Redhat Linux and other open source technologies
* Troubleshoot Linux/Unix based hardware and software problems
* Monitors systems activities and fine tunes system parameters and configuration to optimize performance and ensure security of systems. This includes kernel parameters, resource allocation etc.
* Performs capacity analysis, monitors, and controls usages of disk space.
* Develop procedures for routine administration including backup/restore, shutdown and startup. Document accordingly.
* Provide recommendations for improving the server environment, such as capacity thresholds, security gaps, and patch levels.
* Define procedures for monitoring and evaluates, diagnoses and establishes work plans to resolve system issues.
* Create/maintains scripts used to improve or automate repeatable processes.
* Perform troubleshooting for complex hardware, software, and network problems.
* Assist with Windows troubleshooting and server deployments as needed.
* Work on multiple activities and projects as a project team member, and occasionally be a project leader. Ensure that tasks for a given project are completed on time.
* Ever evolving role requires outside the box thinking and a holistic view on the environment.
* Must be a team player and be able to concisely communicate to deliver client and Netsmart needs.
Technology Experience Required:
* Associate s degree or equivalent in computer science or engineering, or equivalent working experience.
* At least 2 years of systems administration experience across Redhat, Centos, Ubuntu, or Windows Operating Systems.
* At least 2 years of Linux experience, preferably a Redhat based distribution.
* Windows Server administration experience.
* Bash Scripting
* Knowledge of DNS, LDAP, NFS, SMTP, and Active directory account management.
* At least two years working in a virtual environment on VMWare 4.x/5.x
*Experience in the following would be a plus:
* Redhat Satellite 5.6/6
* Redhat Openstack
* Redhat CEPH storage