Litigation Attorney - CGL, Community Associations, Design Professionals
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/20/2016
END DATE 1/25/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
The Law Offices of Lorraine Lester, the CNA Staff Counsel Office for the State of Florida, with offices in Maitland, Plantation and Tampa, is currently seeking an experienced Litigation Attorney with first chair insurance defense or related trial experience for its Plantation office. This role handles a broad spectrum of liability matters with a focus on Community Association/Not for Profit and/or Architect, Engineer, and Design Professional Liability matters, in addition to premises liability, products liability, wrongful death and general insurance defense matters. Under technical direction, provides legal services to the Claim department. Has ongoing relationship and accountability for the department or specialty being served. Is a recognized legal expert in specialized areas. Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving problems of the highest level of difficulty with complex facts that are in question for which considerable legal judgment, experience and independent reasoning are required. Handles cases with insured exposure in excess of $100,000 and may include extra contractual damages. This position is a litigation trial attorney. Minimum 5 years of law firm or in-house experience and first chair insurance defense or related trial experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Handles insurance defense matters from pleadings through trial. Manages litigation preparation driving for superior results. Develops the litigation strategy, and prepares/directs the preparation of all necessary materials i.e., briefs, motions, discovery, depositions, experts, etc. Advises whether a case should be tried or settled and actively drives case to resolution with an appropriate sense of urgency.
2. Handles bench and jury trials as first chair in both state and federal court as necessary. Tries all aspects of cases including court appearances, trial preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations.
3. Communicates regularly and concisely with clients, claim professionals, leadership and others to ensure appropriate level of understanding and documentation exists for effective case management.
4. Conducts legal research and analysis of facts and information to provide counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
5. Prepares opinions or position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of legal issues/provisions.
6. Counsels client/management/claim professionals to avoid legally unsound decisions or plans and when changes in the law occur.
7. May train, or mentor other attorneys and paralegals. Trains department staff on appropriate procedures (e.g., claims, etc).
8. Collaboratively works with clients, claim professionals, underwriting, risk control and other third parties while resolving legal issues.
9. Works independently in resolving legal cases with oversight supervision.
10. Responds to government regulatory agencies as needed.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Advanced knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
3. Strong negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners,
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software ie TeamConnect or other case management software.
8. Value driven to provide superior solutions to internal and/or external clients.
9. Acts with a sense of urgency to advance priorities of the client/organization.
10. Helps self and others to excel through collaboration and building strong relationships.
1. Thinks creatively and uses diverse ideas to solve problems.
2. Raises expectations of self and others by continuously learning and broadening industry and technical skills.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree with JD, and admission to the bar of Florida.
2. Typically requires a minimum of five years of legal experience in claims and/or law firm with a progressively increasing level of responsibility. Requires trial and/or litigation experience. Requires a proven track record of results.
3. May require specific technical/functional area legal experience.
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Plantation
Other Locations: United States-Florida-Plantation
Job Posting: Aug 18, 2016
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.