MACHINE OPERATOR I
Timken - Houston, TX
This job is no longer active. View similar jobs
At Timken, our associates make a difference around the world every day. We are dedicated to improving our customers' performance by delivering unparalleled value and innovation.
Timken associates thrive on the many opportunities offered in a global organization to grow personally and professionally. Our core values - ethics and integrity, independence, innovation and quality - are the foundation of our company and drive every decision and action we take. If you thrive on challenges and have the ability and talent to be a Timken associate, we currently have an opportunity to join our team.
Machine Operators: Manual Lathe Operator
Essential functions include:
- Read work instructions and or receive verbal instruction from supervisor or leader.
- Study blueprint, layout, or chart, to visualize work and determine materials needed, sequence of operations, dimensions, and tooling instructions.
- Select cutting tools and tooling instructions, according to knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics, or written specifications
- Set up machine, including breaking down previous set up and disposing of machine components.
- Move tool holder manually or by turning hand wheel to feed tools to and along work piece.
- Operate hone machine to hone internal surfaces on solid 30'- 50' steel bar.
- Operate manual lathe machine to turn, bore 30'-50' solid steel bars.
- Select speed and feed settings and operate lathe to make rough and finish cuts on stock, controlling and adjusting flow of coolant as necessary.
- Operate overhead crane to lift steel bar manually while simultaneously guiding stock into position with second hand.
- Observe operation and stop machine to inspect finished work piece and verify conformance with specifications of first-run, using measuring instruments.
- Monitor condition of materials and operation of equipment, and reports out of tolerance or abnormal conditions or events to supervisor or leader.
- Check machined stock for proper size and wall thickness utilizing calipers and micrometers.
- Accurately read micrometer dials.
- Accurately read dial bore gauges when taking measurements and checking tolerances.
- Operate a overhead crane in a safely manner when moving large pieces of bar stock.
- The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
To qualify for this role candidates must meet the following requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent is Required.
- Associates Degree or 2 year technical certificate PREFERRED.
- 2-4 years of prior production/manufacturing machine operation experience.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Must have experience working with long dimensional solid steel.
- Must have specific Oil/Gas experience with steel bars up to 50' long.