MEDICAL ASSISTANT I 8/17/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The medical assistant is responsible for providing the necessary services to support the physicians and to keep the facility running smoothly. Reporting to the Practice Manager, the medical assistant will be an integral member of the clinical team, working together to provide superior care and service a panel of cardiology patients.
The medical assistant will be expected to have a global view of the day and support the patient, provider, and other members of the Cardiology team to provide patients with comprehensive/effective visits and complete the tasks of the day as efficiently as possible.
Active participation in patient care including rooming patients, recording patient vitals, performing EKGs, and doing phlebotomy including proper identification and handling of specimens. Performing other procedures as determined relevant to the individual patient such as placing Holter Monitors and ordering Event Monitors.
Overall responsibility for the flow of the providers patient care sessions. Providing needed information to the front desk staff concerning the work flow in the patient care area and keeping the provider informed of any issues that affect the efficiency of the clinical flow. Accurately uses the Ambulatory Patient Tracking system.
Demonstrates a strong sense of shared responsibility to maintain a clean environment by ensuring exam rooms and phlebotomy area are clean and appropriately stocked with supplies on a daily basis. Demonstrates a strong sense of shared responsibility in maintaining clinical equipment including EKG machines, daily transmission of EKG recordings, monthly calibration of scales, weekly monitoring of Holter Monitor supply including contacting First Call for monitors that are outstanding for more than one week.
Responsible for contacting Bio-Med for any broken machine that is registered with the Bio-Medical Engineering department.
Covers medical assistant shortages in other areas of Cardiology as needed.
Promotes patient/customer satisfaction by interacting with patients and coworkers in a professional and courteous manner.
Other duties as assigned
* BLS Certified required
* EKG Certified required
* Minimum of a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
* Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program
* Minimum of 3 years Medical Assistant experience very strongly preferred. Strong phlebotomy skills required.
* Excellent interpersonal communication and skills whether in person, via the telephone and/or in writing.
* Superior service attitude
* Compassionate and kind Energetic and upbeat.
* Works well both independently and as part of a team.
* Demonstrates intellectual independence and initiative and has a desire to learn and develop new skills and better methods of completing work efforts. Exceptional organizational and time management skills, ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate.
* Flexibility and proven ability to handle multiple tasks.
* Experience with common PC computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
* Comfortable in a practice environment/culture that promotes ongoing change toward process improvement.
* Phlebotomy experience required.
* Outpatient setting.
* Fast paced working environment where the medical assistant spends a good portion of the day on his/her feet.
* Workstations with computers and chairs are provided.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.