MEDICAL ASSISTANT II / 40 HOURS / DAY / BWH ORTHOPEDICS
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/1/2016
END DATE 11/8/2016
Brigham & Women's Hospital(BWH)
Chestnut Hill, MA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
This position is responsible for supporting the physicians, physician assistants, fellows, and residents at the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston Street and Braintree to ensure their clinical needs are met. The Medical Assistant will work collaboratively in the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston Street and Braintree with Arthroplasty, Foot and Ankle, Hand/Upper Extremity, Podiatry, Sports Medicine, Physiatry, and Rheumatology multispecialty physicians, physician assistants, fellows, and residents. The Medical Assistant will be responsible for greeting patients in an appropriate manner, updating patients on wait times, escorting patients into the exam rooms and obtaining vital signs (height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, and others as directed). The Medical Assistant will support the Meaningful Use Initiative by gathering and documenting information on allergy, smoking, and family medical history into the electronic medical record (EMR). The Medical Assistant will assist with routing and complex procedures within the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston and Braintree as needed. The Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting with ordering, tracking, and maintaining supplies and inventory par levels. Responsible for ensuring exam rooms are cleaned, stocked, and prepared for patient care throughout assigned shift
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Greets patients as they arrive for appointments and escorts into exam rooms. Updates patients on wait time per Ambulatory Council Guidelines.
2. Will assist the physicians, physician assistants, fellows, and residents at the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston Street and Braintree to ensure their clinical needs are met with acquisition of necessary supplies, and procedures within scope of practice. Will assist with suture, staple removals, and wound dressing changes within scope of practice.
3. Will assist in determining the reason for the patient visit and prepare patient for all exams. Will obtain vital signs, height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, and others as directed. Will support the Meaningful Use Initiative by gathering and documenting information regarding preferred pharmacy, allergy, smoking, and family medical history into the electronic medical record (EMR). Will assist with the Patient Gateway enrollment efforts.
4. Cleans, prepares, and re-stocks exam rooms and common shared space of co-workers, physicians, physician assistants, fellows, and residents at the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston Street and Braintree. Responsible for maintaining all supplies in exam rooms used and notifying responsibly party when supply par levels are met and ready for re-ordering.
5. Ensures all forms are collected, distributed, restocked in the exam rooms, and common shared space of co-workers, physicians, physician assistants, fellows, and residents at the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston Street and Braintree. Ensures that all forms are appropriately labeled and placed and designated location for scanning into medical record.
6. Ensures expiration dates of medication and supplies are maintained. Rotates medications and supplies by expiration date. Ensures TJC medication shelf life and multi-dosage requirements are adhered to. Informs management or designated person with medication concerns. Confirms medication list in EMR. Will merge medications from care everywhere when applicable.
7. Participates in TJC readiness by adhering to the annual National Patient Safety Goals throughout the year. Follows all departmental standard operational procedures and hospital wide policies and procedures.
8. Actively participates at departmental staff meetings and makes ongoing suggestions to assist in continuous process improvement for the department.
9. Works in a cohesive manner to instill a sense of teamwork within the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston Street. Establishes and maintains appropriate operational rapport with management and physicians, physician assistants, fellows, and residents at the Orthopedic and Arthritis Center @ 850 Boylston Street and Braintree to enhance both employee morale and patient satisfaction.
10. May provide cross coverage to the administrative functions of a Practice Assistant. Performs other duties as assigned.
College educated candidates considering medical careers, physician, physician assistants, nursing, etc are encourage to apply and are highly desired.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Graduate of an approved Medical Assistant Certification Program ( or demonstrated knowledge of competencies required to perform essential functions of the position)
3. 1-2 years of prior clinical experience in an Ambulatory setting is helpful, but will train if candidate demonstrates excellent customer service and critical thinking skills.
1. Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills are essential.
2. Strong clinical and assessment skills are essential.
3. Good organization skills are required to prioritize tasks effectively.
4. Ability to work successfully as a team player.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of varied medical procedures, such as phlebotomy, EKG, vital signs,etc.
1. Ability to transport patients and equipment throghout the hospital ( 10-20 % of time)
2. Ability to assist patient in exam room, may require lifting of patients.
3. Ability to lift and maneuver equipment ( up to 50 pounds)
4. May require travel to off site location to assist with coverage as needed.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners, follows safe practices required for the position, complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures, fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate, brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
BRIGHAM AND WOMENS HOSPITAL I CARE STANDARDS
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I WILL COMMUNICATE MY COMMITMENT TO HIGH QUALITY PERFORMANCE
A. I WILL APPEAR AND ACT AS A PROFESSIONAL
R. I WILL RESPECT ALL INDIVIDUALS
E. I WILL EXTEND MYSELF