MEDICAL ASSISTANT II / PER DIEM / ROTATING / BWH SPECIALTY CLINIC
GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Medical Assistant will perform all functions necessary for the complete care and efficient management of patients through the Specialty Clinic at Brigham and Womens/Mass General Health Care Center under the supervision of the Practice Manager and Clinical Director, including assisting patients with needs or problems relevant to their visit to the physicians and mid-level providers and assisting physicians, mid-level providers and other licensed clinical staff with procedures, treatments and/or instructions to the patients.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Accurately performs all functions necessary in the ambulatory practice excluding the administration of medications, injections and other procedures that require a nursing license.
* Accurately records all patient data and maintains all necessary records or files pertaining to the patient. This includes updating the LMR medical record with vital signs, etc.
* Informs patients of any existing procedure or appointment delays and provides approximate waiting time.
* Assists all patients in a courteous, efficient, helpful and professional manner.
* Assists clinical team in medication reconciliation process by taking and documenting a complete medication history on all patients.
* Treats all patients with dignity, compassion and respect.
* Appropriately prepares patient for examinations or procedures.
* Assists physicians and mid-level providers during examinations, procedures and care of patient.
* Provide assistance at the front desk to direct patient inquiries as required.
* Direct telephone calls from patients to appropriate provider. Provide patient information only as directed by clinical staff.
* Set up for procedures in treatment room and give assistance to physician as directed.
* Complete necessary documentation related to patient care, treatment administered, and report to RN or MD as indicated.
* Prepares all lab specimens, complete required requisitions and arrange for transport to Clinical Lab.
* Performs EKGs, nebulizer treatments, Point of Service (POC) testing, vital signs, pulmonary function tests, medical entry in LMR, supply ordering, prescription refill processing per providers orders, assists providers with procedures and any other medical assistant tasks in accordance to protocol.
* Sterilization and maintenance of instruments and packs for surgical procedures as needed.
* Clean and maintain autoclave per infection control policy.
* Carry out weekly sport tests and maintain records as required by the Joint Commission and Infection Control department.
* Clean dressing containers in clinical area as required by policy.
* Be alert to the maintenance of high standards of cleanliness in clinical area and negative with Housekeeping Dept. as needed.
* Stock educational and recreational materials in waiting area as required.
* Maintain CO2 laser as directed and maintain records per policy.
* Assists physicians and mid-level providers in the acquisition and proper use of all equipment relating to the care of the patient.
* Obtains pertinent and accurate information from the patient and communicates this information, in a professional manner to the physicians and/or mid-level providers.
* Follows all practice protocols and demonstrates accuracy in all procedures.
* Maintains a professional relationship with physicians, mid-level providers, co-workers, patients and management team.
* Keeps physician up to date on patient volume and waiting status during appointment sessions.
* Keeps all patient-care and procedure equipment clean and in good working order and reports equipment problems to supervisor.
* Keeps inventory of necessary supplies and equipment: notifies supervisor when items are needed.
* Properly stocks patient-care area and makes cost effective use of supplies, equipment and other resources.
* Keeps all patient-care areas and work areas neat and clean and accurately utilizes all equipment and supplies.
* Promotes collaborative work relationships and influences others to work collaboratively.
* Is a role model to others in service standards. Interacts professionally with fellow employees and other ancillary departments. Is supportive of fellow employees and uses initiative in helping others. Is an effective team player.
* Follows instructions of and assists supervisory staff as required. Maintains good communication with and reports problems to supervisor.
* Performs all duties and tasks as requested by the supervisor, to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility
High School Diploma or equivalent ~ required
Graduate of Medical Assistant Program or Some college experience* ~ preferred
*The ideal candidate will be a college graduate or currently enrolled in college, pursuing a degree in nursing, science or other allied health field.
* Must demonstrate excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills. This position requires a great deal of initial contact with patients. Excellent communication skills.
* Proficient in all MA technical skills.
* Must possess a solid understanding of ambulatory patient care to ensure smooth patient flow, be organized and multi-tasking and have excellent learning skills. Ability to prioritize in a very busy atmosphere.
* Computer Literacy/Data Entry Skills.
* Familiarity in a Hospital setting.
* Ability to problem-solve. Capable to work quickly to resolve or minimize identified problems.
* Ability and willingness to train and precept other MAs in competencies.
* Ability to work successfully as a team player.
* Good organizational skills are required to prioritize tasks effectively.
* Must maintain annual competencies related to practice protocol.
* Must attend mandatory department meetings and annual in-services.
No direct supervisory FTEs.
Responsible for training of new staff and taking lead role for other staff.
Responsible for coordinating MA coverage with Practice Manager to ensure smooth patient flow.
Works closely with Practice Manager on staffing coverage.
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
BRIGHAM AND WOMENS HOSPITAL I CARE STANDARDS
The I CARE Standards guide me in my interactions with patients, family members, visitors, colleagues, and neighbors in my workplace and surrounding community to optimize the Brigham experience and help fulfill my role in our mission of providing seamless, high quality patient and family centered care.
C. I WILL COMMUNICATE MY COMMITMENT TO HIGH QUALITY PERFORMANCE
A. I WILL APPEAR AND ACT AS A PROFESSIONAL
R. I WILL RESPECT ALL INDIVIDUALS
E. I WILL EXTEND MYSELF