MEDICAL LAB SCIENTIST SUPV
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/7/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
University of Kansas Hospital
Kansas City, KS
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Details
I am at least 18 years of age
I am authorized to work in the United States
I meet the job requirements as described
Work among the best. Be part of the interdisciplinary team that is the hallmark of an academic medical center. The Department of Clinical Laboratory is a full-service laboratory operating 24 hours a day. The staff performs millions of procedures annually, using some of the most cutting-edge technology and techniques available. In addition to being the best place to work, the hospital offers very competitive wages and an outstanding benefit package.
We currently have an opening for a Medical Lab Scientist position.
The Medical Lab Scientist supervisor oversees and participates in all departmental responsibilities for comprehensive laboratory testing for patients. This includes ensuring patients' laboratory results are accurate and timely. Has the ability to prioritize and remain calm and organized in a high stress, fast-paced environment.
* Analyzes patient, control and proficiency testing specimens and records results in a timely manner according to laboratory policy.
* Coordinates quality assurance and quality improvement activities for the department.
* Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and maintains a laboratory of constant readiness.
* Ensures all departmental policies and procedures are kept up to date.
* Ensures compliance with regulatory, accreditation, safety and hospital standards, policies and procedures.
* Instructs, orients and mentors students, employees, residents, patients and other health care providers as applicable. Completes continuing education and submits appropriate documentation where applicable.
* Oversees calibration, maintenance and troubleshooting and quality control for instrument issues in addition to the review and management of the appropriate documentation.
* Performs all necessary management tasks for the department including the following:
o Maintains an adequate inventory of all supplies and reagents.
o Schedules and coordinates all departmental staffing. c) Manages all departmental financial responsibilities.
o Completes competency training and systematic reviews for the staff in the department.
o Completes performance evaluations for staff in the department.
* Performs HR duties including interviewing, hiring, counseling and corrective action.
* Performs product preparations in compliance with FDA, CGMP, AABB standards, NRC regulations and department procedures.
* Provides oversight for the review and correlation of results to each other and with the patient's condition, recognizing abnormal results and critical/ values. Verifies accuracy of results and initiates corrective action when indicated.
* Must be ASCP, NCA certified or eligible ( certification must be completed within 6 months of hire)
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Biological, Physical, Chemical or Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology from an accredited institution preferred
* Bachelor's Degree and meets the CLIA requirements for high complexity testing
* Graduate of a NCCLS approved training program.
* Five or more years of experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist.
The University of Kansas Medical Center is committed to providing an equal opportunity for all qualified individuals to be considered for employment, benefits and conditions of employment, and to participate in or benefit from education programs and activities, regardless of race, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information. A university community that provides equal opportunity for all will make significant strides towards the elimination of discrimination.
It is the mission of the Equal Opportunity Office to create a community of equality and inclusiveness that provides full and fair opportunities for all persons and to foster an intellectually and culturally diverse environment of learning and leadership where all individuals are valued, respected, and unhindered in their pursuit of excellence in their work and education.