Manager, Growth Insights 8/26/2016
The J. M. Smucker Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY For more than 115 years, The J. M. Smucker Company has been committed to offering consumers quality products that bring families together to share memorable meals and moments. Today, Smucker is a leading marketer and manufacturer of consumer food and beverage products and pet food and pet snacks in North America with annual net sales of approximately $8 billion. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker's , Folgers , Jif , Dunkin Donuts , Crisco , Pillsbury , R.W. Knudsen Family , Hungry Jack , Caf Bustelo , Martha White , truRoots , Sahale Snacks , Robin Hood , and Bick s . In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Meow Mix , Milk- Bone , Kibbles 'n Bits , Natural Balance , and 9Lives . The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about the Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
Manager, Growth Insights
Director, Growth Insights
In this new role, you will be a strategic and creative driving force to identify and create innovative new products and services across food, beverage, and pet food/snacks categories. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker who is adept at translating consumer insights into compelling business-building opportunities.
He/she will partner collaboratively with the Innovation team and other cross-functional partners through the "fuzzy front end" of the innovation process to ensure that business opportunities are effectively translated into meaningful solutions that create value for the people & pets we feed. A creative mindset is necessary to bring to life unique, compelling insights and business opportunities for cross-functional teams and ensure the consumer is front & center at all times. The successful candidate will have a passion for the consumer, a strong design sense, insatiable curiosity, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
* Translate Company brand growth strategies into inspiring, forward-thinking innovation platforms and H2/H3 innovation initiatives
* Lead the creation of early stage, whitespace innovation vectors that build upon strategic insights work (e.g., Demand Landscapes, Purchase Structures) and unlock new consumer-centric value propositions
* Partner with cross-functional team to ensure that innovation opportunities are aligned to business objectives, create value for the consumer & the company, and cross-functional team members are fully engaged in the process
* Ensure the Innovation team and cross-functional partners maintain a consumer-centric focus throughout early stage innovation work
* Take foundational insights developed by the Insights team to the next level by dimensionalizing with ad hoc custom research, trends, secondary, and other data sources to inspire innovation opportunities and address Innovation and R&D learning needs
* Design immersive team engagements to uncover and bring to life consumers' deep needs and desires for prioritized Innovation drill sites
* Responsible for partnering with outside ideation and innovation firms to ensure engagement assignments deliver upon true consumer needs
* Be the key point of contact for cross-functional teams to ensure that concepts are written with best practice guidelines, paying particular attention to staying true to consumer insights driving the innovation opportunity and articulating a clear and concise "reason for being"
* Bachelor's degree required
* At least 7 years of relevant experience is required
* Professional experience in fields such as design research, agency planning, consulting, or ideation
* Storytelling skills to bring the consumer and business opportunity to life
* Able to "think on your feet" and influence during meetings with all levels of the organization
* Able to communicate well with business, creative, and technical partners
* Understanding of qualitative and quantitative research/analytics content in order to distill content and bring the insights to life for Innovation engagements
* Creative thinker adept at problem solving
* Ability to be a cultural touchstone in evolving JMS to be a more innovative, entrepreneurial organization
* Some travel required for ideation sessions, consumer immersion sessions, etc. (approximately 20%)
The J. M. Smucker Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.