Manager - Laboratory Medicine - Medical Center
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/12/2016
END DATE 11/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Summary
This position exists to ensure the delivery of quality laboratory services in an efficient and effective manner meeting the needs of patients and attending clinical staff. Under general direction is responsible for functional and operational aspects of a laboratory section. Provides leadership, guidance and direction to staff. Maintains accountability for the level of the section s performance and results. Responsible for quality, functional excellence and contribution to accomplishment of strategic and operational objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participates in planning, budgeting and general management efforts for Laboratory Medicine of which the section is a part and stays within budget.
2. Plans and organizes day-to-day operations, schedule and activites of the section.
3. Sets priorities and functional standards giving direction to staff as necessary.
4. Organizes, oversees and leads work efforts as appropriate to ensure the best possible delivery of laboratory service and high customer/patient satisfaction.
5. Makes and executes decisions within delegated authority. Surfaces issues to management for resolution as appropirate. Participates in resolving issues outside delegated scope of authority.
6. Provides the leadership to have a competent and satisfied employee group by doing timely performance appraisals, providing development and mentoring of subordinates and staff. Develops subordinates to perform these same functions.
7. Hires, coaches, trains, disciplines and terminates staff as necessary. Develops subordinates to perform these functions.
8. Ensures that the laboratory meets quality standards of CLIA, CAP, AABB, ASHI and JCAHO, and that business practices comply with federal and state law.
9. Demononstrates the components of the I CARE values.
10. Maintains balance in their job to insure that they are taking care of themselves.
11. Performs other related work as required.
* Bachelor's degree relevant to function managed.
* Must be certified as either a Medical Technologist by the Board of Registry (ASCP) or CHT by the American Board of Histocompatability and Immunogenetics (ABHI).
* Five to six years of progressively responsible staff experience in a large hospital laboratory, with one to two years of experience in supervision or as a team leader preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Must be certified as a Medical Technologist by the Board of Registry (ASCP) or CHT by the American Board of Histocompatability and Immunogenetics (ABHI).
* Additional specialty certification by the Board of Registry (ASCP) is preferred.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Knowledge of the functional discipline to be managed.
* Knowledge of managerial principles, process and procedures.
* Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
* Skill in verbal and written communication.
* Skill in planning, organizing and delegating functional activities.
* Skill in coaching, counseling and developing the functional and supervisory skills of others.
* Ability to analyze and solve problems.
* Reasonable accommodation will be made to these requirements to enable individuals with disabilities to perform this work as required.
* Varies by assignment. Indoor work. Normal hospital laboratories with typical hospital environmental hazards and concerns.
* Department provides patient care services 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
* Managers must rotate on-call, and must be available by pager.
* Depending on the hours of operation of the laboratory section managed, Manager may need to be at work during second and third shifts and on weekends.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.