Manager, Protection Engineering
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/25/2016
END DATE 12/14/2016
Duquesne Light Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONDuquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Lead team of engineers to ensure design and deployment of protection systems which operate safely, reliability, and in accordance with applicable industry standards.
* Manage and develop a diverse staff of technical professionals. Develop staff to be technically competent, team-oriented, collaborative, and productive. Set expectations, monitor performance and provide coaching and feedback to improve individual and team performance
* Perform investigations of relay operations and execute corrective actions to ensure proper function and coordination of protective systems
* Direct and conduct development of short circuit system models and analysis of transmission and distribution circuit breakers. Lead development of corrective projects and programs
* Provide technical strategy and guidance in applying design standards and specifications related to Protection Engineering
* Foster culture of compliance and adherence to applicable regulatory requirements
* Participate as a member of the Company's Storm Team
Roles at this level require a Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering. Higher level education such as a masters degree, PhD, or certification is normally desired. Industry experience to be successful in the given role is typically 7+ years.
Masters degree in Electrical Engineer; Professional Engineer license; Knowledge of industry-preferred practices and methods; ten (10) years progressively responsible utility experience.
* Excellent analytical, problem solving and project management skills required to complete responsibilities. Excellent technical, written and oral communications skills
* Demonstrated ability to work with, advise, and direct others as a team
* Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and work in a fast paced and changing environment
Resolves problems of a greater complexity than the former. Improves existing processes & systems using conceptualizing, reasoning, & interpretation skills. Solutions require through understanding of business strategies and issues. Defines broad based solutions that would require consideration of wider implications on organization results & resources.
Primary focus is on day to day management of operational execution also develops and exercises business plans, policies, and procedures. Contributes to proactive planning exercises of management team as requested. Trains and develops staff. Plans the work flow. Looks for areas of process improvement and directs available resources to accomplish this. Leads changes and implementations for direct team as pushed down through the organization.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light's commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.