Manager of Medical Group Clinical Operations
The Medical Group Clinical Manager is responsible for the overall clinical management of the Medical Group within the mission, vision and values of the parent corporation, the Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital. He/she works under the direct supervision of the VP of Physician Practices and the Operations Committee of the Medical Group.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
A. Oversee and manage the growing clinical staff of approximately 15 that provide patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification or registration and as required by law and regulation.
B. Quality Patient Care - Understand and manage the staff that complete the delivery of care in an inpatient and outpatient setting as performed by the medical group. The system of care encompasses patient access, delivery of care, and appropriate follow-up care. The delivery of care includes coordination of patient care activities while adhering to clinical standards of care while assuring appropriate staffing levels and inventory. Direct accountability for complete clinical operations of the medical group clinic within the guidelines established by the Medical Group Practice VP of Physician Practices,
C. Utilization of electronic medical record - understands and can effectively work with Athena medical record. Integrates closely with the Athena super user and all staff utilizing this electronic medical record.
D. Clinical Knowledge - Must be able to work with physicians, nurses, MA's, physician extenders health information management, and other Mary Free Bed employees, to effectively deliver patient care through the medical group
E. Fiscal Responsibility - Understands the fiscal component of clinical operations
1. Manages clinical performance within identified key performance indicators
2. Assumes responsibility for provider schedule maintenance
a. Implements operational strategies that will optimize patient access and appointment scheduling process
3. Oversees par levels for clinic supplies and utilization controls
4. Oversee timekeeping functions for direct reports, utilizing an editor when appropriate to approve time off and plans for coverage as needed
F. Staff Selection and Performance Management - Collaborates with the Medical Group Practice VP of Physician Practice to select, train and manage the performance of staff.
1. Manages the recruitment selection, orientation and training of clinical staff
2. Responsible for assuring all staff maintain proper licensure and certification
3. Promotes Medical Group collaboration with hospital based units and programs
G. Staff Development and Mentoring - Working with the Medical Group VP of Physician Practices, provides staff education both during new employee orientation and in ongoing staff development and mentoring activities.
1. Ultimately responsible for the supervision and direction of clinical employees
2. Demonstrates a communication style and develops a rapport with staff that secures a highly engaged team who consistently achieves top box patient satisfaction scores
a. Maintains an active presence in the outpatient clinic through the use of leadership rounds
b. Identify process and systematic barriers to the delivery of superior patient care
c. Promotes the use of staff huddles to facilitate efficiency and coordination of patient care
d. Conducts weekly staff huddles
e. Assures and promotes the professional growth and development of staff
3. Coordinates systematic performance review of all clinical staff
4. Establishes and maintains effective physician relations
H. Legal/ Patient and Staff Safety-Responsible for compliance with all local, state and federal laws and guidelines.
1. Responsible for safe keeping of medical records as well as compliance with records release and retention policies
2. Assure staff compliance with risk management, disaster preparedness and emergency planning policies
I. Quality Improvement - Responsible for the implementation of policies and procedures involving Patient Safety. Participates in the collection and analysis of data for Quality Improvement activities focused on patient and or program outcomes. Promotes an environment that stimulates an interest in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement activities. Provides opportunities for staff involvement in data collection and quality initiatives allowing staff members to contribute to the operational and strategic planning of the unit.
1. Professional Work Environment -Promotes and contributes to an environment that establishes mutual respect, open communication, enthusiasm, and pride. Promote an open approach to change, and hold staff accountable for their performance in these areas.
2. Interdepartmental and Interdisciplinary Collaboration- Promotes interdisciplinary partnerships, collaborating with other departments, disciplines, and institutions to facilitate optimal patient care at Mary Free Bed.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
* BSN with clinical experience or a Bachelors in other allied health profession with experience working in a physician practice .
* 5-7 years of experience in managerial role
* Experience with electronic medical record implementation and training
* Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, supervisory, management and communication skills
* Physical Demands: Required to stand, sit, talk, type, read and hear; required to use hands and arms to handle, feel, carry and work; to frequently stand, walk, bend, kneel, and rise from a kneeling position while performing patient care; to be independently mobile, with frequent bending and reaching overhead for activities such as positioning and transferring of patients and equipment; must be able to exert 20 to 35 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
* Must be competent with computer systems for the purpose of documenting patient care.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
* Advanced degree in management
* Experience with operations delivery of services by physicians
* Nursing and or MA background in clinical delivery of care and practice management